Campylobacter ureolyticus: an emerging gastrointestinal pathogen?
AffiliationDepartment of Biological Sciences, Cork Institute of Technology, Cork, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Communicable Diseases, Emerging
RNA, Ribosomal, 16S
Sequence Analysis, DNA
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCampylobacter ureolyticus: an emerging gastrointestinal pathogen? 2011, 61 (2):228-30 FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol.
PublisherBlackwell Publishing Ltd.
JournalFEMS immunology and medical microbiology
AbstractA total of 7194 faecal samples collected over a 1-year period from patients presenting with diarrhoea were screened for Campylobacter spp. using EntericBio(®) , a multiplex-PCR system. Of 349 Campylobacter-positive samples, 23.8% were shown to be Campylobacter ureolyticus, using a combination of 16S rRNA gene analysis and highly specific primers targeting the HSP60 gene of this organism. This is, to the best of our knowledge, the first report of C. ureolyticus in the faeces of patients presenting with gastroenteritis and may suggest a role for this organism as an emerging enteric pathogen.
- High Prevalence of Campylobacter ureolyticus in Stool Specimens of Children with Diarrhea in Japan.
- Authors: Hatanaka N, Shimizu A, Somroop S, Li Y, Asakura M, Nagita A, Prasad Awasthi S, Hinenoya A, Yamasaki S
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 24
- Gastroenteritis caused by Campylobacter concisus.
- Authors: Hess DL, Pettersson AM, Rijnsburger MC, Herbrink P, van den Berg HP, Ang CW
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Emerging dynamics of human campylobacteriosis in Southern Ireland.
- Authors: Bullman S, Corcoran D, O'Leary J, O'Hare D, Lucey B, Sleator RD
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Development of a multiplex PCR assay for identification of Campylobacter coli, Campylobacter fetus, Campylobacter hyointestinalis subsp. hyointestinalis, Campylobacter jejuni, Campylobacter lari and Campylobacter upsaliensis.
- Authors: Yamazaki-Matsune W, Taguchi M, Seto K, Kawahara R, Kawatsu K, Kumeda Y, Kitazato M, Nukina M, Misawa N, Tsukamoto T
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Molecular-based detection of non-culturable and emerging campylobacteria in patients presenting with gastroenteritis.
- Authors: Bullman S, O'Leary J, Corcoran D, Sleator RD, Lucey B
- Issue date: 2012 Apr