Emergence of group B Streptococcus serotype IV in women of child-bearing age in Ireland.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Microbiology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland.
Communicable Diseases, Emerging
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEmergence of group B Streptococcus serotype IV in women of child-bearing age in Ireland. 2011, 139 (2):236-8 Epidemiol. Infect.
JournalEpidemiology and infection
AbstractThis study determined the carriage rate and serotype distribution of group B Streptococcus (GBS) in women of child-bearing age in the southern region of Ireland. A total of 2000 vaginal swabs collected in two periods in 2004 and 2006 were examined and revealed a GBS carriage rate of 16·1%. Serotyping of isolates showed that serotypes Ia, II, III, IV, and V were the most prevalent. A high prevalence of serotype IV was found, increasing from 7·6% to 15·2% between 2004 and 2006. Random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis demonstrated considerable genetic heterogeneity in the serotype IV isolates. This serotype should be considered for inclusion in potential vaccines for use in Ireland.
- Group B streptococcus colonization of Romanian women: phenotypic traits of isolates from vaginal swabs.
- Authors: Usein CR, Petrini A, Georgescu R, Grigore L, Străuţ M, Ungureanu V
- Issue date: 2009 Oct-Dec
- Epidemiology of Streptococcus agalactiae colonization in Germany.
- Authors: Brimil N, Barthell E, Heindrichs U, Kuhn M, Lütticken R, Spellerberg B
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- [Antimicrobial susceptibilities and serotype distribution of Streptococcus agalactiae strains isolated from pregnant women].
- Authors: Yenişehirli G, Bulut Y, Demirtürk F, Calişkan AC
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- [Analysis of serotypes distribution of group B streptococci origin from pregnant carriage using multiplex PCR].
- Authors: Brzychczy-Włoch M, Gosiewski T, Bodaszewska M, Pabian W, Bulanda M, Heczko PB
- Issue date: 2009
- Serotyping group B streptococci in a small community hospital: an analysis of distribution and site of isolation.
- Authors: Smith JM, Rexroth JA, Chaffin DG, Jackman SH
- Issue date: 2002