Association of cigarette smoking with drug use and risk taking behaviour in Irish teenagers.
AffiliationDept. of Respiratory Medicine, Cork University Hospital, University College Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAssociation of cigarette smoking with drug use and risk taking behaviour in Irish teenagers. 2011, 36 (5):547-50 Addict Behav
AbstractCigarette smoking has been shown to act as a 'gateway' to cannabis use and further risk taking behaviours. This study aims to (1) establish the prevalence of cigarette smoking and cannabis use in Irish teenagers, (2) to quantify the strength and significance of the association of cigarette smoking and cannabis use and other high risk behaviours and (3) examine whether the above associations are independent of the extent of social networking.
Adolescent students across five urban, non-fee paying schools completed an abridged European schools survey project on alcohol and other drugs (ESPAD) questionnaire.
370/417 (88.7%) students completed the questionnaire. 228 (61.6%) were female, 349 (94.3%) were aged 15-16 years. 48.4% of those surveyed had smoked tobacco at some stage in their lifetime, 18.1% in the last 30 days. 15.1% have used cannabis with 5.7% using it in the last 30 days. 29.6% of cigarette smokers have used cannabis in comparison to 1.6% of non-smokers. On multivariate analysis lifetime cigarette smoking status was independently associated with hard drug use, adjusted OR=6.0, p<0.01; soft drug use, adjusted OR=4.6, p<0.01 and high risk sex practises, adjusted OR=10.6, p<0.05.
Cigarette smoking prevalence remains high in Irish teenagers and is significantly associated with drug use and other risk taking behaviours. Specific teenage smoking cessation strategies need to be developed targeting these combined high risk health behaviours.
- [The relationship between tobacco smoking and risk behaviour syndrome among 15-year-old adolescents in Poland and other European countries].
- Authors: Mazur J, Dzielska A, Małkowska-Szkutnik A
- Issue date: 2009
- The association between cigarette smoking and drug abuse in the United States.
- Authors: Lai S, Lai H, Page JB, McCoy CB
- Issue date: 2000
- [The new drug addiction behavior of the young].
- Authors: Phan O
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- [Tobacco smoking and risky behaviour taking by youth].
- Authors: Małkowska-Szkutnik A, Dzielska A, Mazur J
- Issue date: 2010
- Quantification of the influence of friends and antisocial behaviour in adolescent consumption of cannabis using the ZINB model and data mining.
- Authors: Gervilla E, Cajal B, Palmer A
- Issue date: 2011 Apr