AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology and Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationContact sport and osteoarthritis. 2011, 45 (4):275-7 Br J Sports Med
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group Ltd
JournalBritish journal of sports medicine
AbstractOsteoarthritis (OA) is the most common joint disease in the world and the single largest cause of disability for those over 18 years. It affects more than twice as many people as does cardiac disease, and increases in incidence and prevalence with age. Animal and human studies have shown no evidence of increased risk of hip or knee OA with moderate exercise and in the absence of traumatic injury, sporting activity has a protective effect. One age-matched case control study found recreational runners who ran 12-14 miles per week for up to 40 years had no increase in radiological or symptomatic hip or knee OA. However, higher rates of hip OA occur in contact sports than in age-matched controls, with the highest rate in professional players. Soccer players with torn anterior cruciate ligaments (ACL) are more likely to develop knee OA than those with intact ACL. Early ACL repair reduces the risk of knee OA, but does not prevent it. Established injury prevention programmes have been refined to prevent injuries such as ACL rupture.
- Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis Affects Younger People, Too.
- Authors: Ackerman IN, Kemp JL, Crossley KM, Culvenor AG, Hinman RS
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Is physical activity, practiced as recommended for health benefit, a risk factor for osteoarthritis?
- Authors: Lefèvre-Colau MM, Nguyen C, Haddad R, Delamarche P, Paris G, Palazzo C, Poiraudeau S, Rannou F, Roren A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- The association between radiographic knee osteoarthritis and knee symptoms, function and quality of life 10-15 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
- Authors: Oiestad BE, Holm I, Engebretsen L, Risberg MA
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Quadriceps muscle weakness after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a risk factor for knee osteoarthritis?
- Authors: Øiestad BE, Holm I, Gunderson R, Myklebust G, Risberg MA
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- High prevalence of knee osteoarthritis, pain, and functional limitations in female soccer players twelve years after anterior cruciate ligament injury.
- Authors: Lohmander LS, Ostenberg A, Englund M, Roos H
- Issue date: 2004 Oct