Enhanced recovery after elective colorectal surgery: now the standard of care.
Digestive System Surgical Procedures
Standard of Care
Surgical Procedures, Elective
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEnhanced recovery after elective colorectal surgery: now the standard of care. 2011, 180 (3):633-5 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractEnhanced recovery programmes have been studied in randomised trials with evidence of quicker recovery of gut function, reduced morbidity, mortality and hospital stay and improved physiological and nutritional outcomes. They aim to reduce the physiological and psychological stress of surgery and consequently the uncontrolled stress response. The key elements, reduced pre-operative fasting, intravenous fluid restriction and early feeding after surgery, are in conflict with traditional management plans but are supported by strong clinical evidence. Given the strength of the current data enhanced recovery should now be the standard of care.
- Compliance with enhanced recovery after surgery criteria and preoperative and postoperative counselling reduces length of hospital stay in colorectal surgery: results of a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Forsmo HM, Pfeffer F, Rasdal A, Østgaard G, Mohn AC, Körner H, Erichsen C
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Introducing an enhanced recovery after surgery program in colorectal surgery: a single center experience.
- Authors: Bona S, Molteni M, Rosati R, Elmore U, Bagnoli P, Monzani R, Caravaca M, Montorsi M
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 14
- French guidelines for enhanced recovery after elective colorectal surgery.
- Authors: Alfonsi P, Slim K, Chauvin M, Mariani P, Faucheron JL, Fletcher D, Working Group of Société française d’anesthésie et réanimation (SFAR)., Société française de chirurgie digestive (SFCD).
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Understanding surgical residents' postoperative practices and barriers and enablers to the implementation of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Guideline.
- Authors: Nadler A, Pearsall EA, Victor JC, Aarts MA, Okrainec A, McLeod RS
- Issue date: 2014 Jul-Aug
- The nutritional management of surgical patients: enhanced recovery after surgery.
- Authors: Fearon KC, Luff R
- Issue date: 2003 Nov