Validation of a norovirus multiplex real-time RT-PCR assay for the detection of norovirus GI and GII from faeces samples.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Microbiology, Cork University Hospital, Ireland.
Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction
MetadataShow full item record
CitationValidation of a norovirus multiplex real-time RT-PCR assay for the detection of norovirus GI and GII from faeces samples. 2011, 68 (3):116-9 Br. J. Biomed. Sci.
JournalBritish journal of biomedical science
AbstractNorovirus is a leading cause of infectious non-bacterial gastroenteritis. The virus is highly contagious and has multiple modes of transmission, presenting a growing challenge to hospital-based healthcare. In this study, a total of 120 stool samples are tested for the presence of norovirus GI and GII by the Roche two-step Lightcycler 2.0 assay incorporating primers and probes produced by TIB Molbiol, and the results are compared with results from the National Virus Reference Laboratory. The Roche/TIB Molbiol assay produced 51 positive results and 69 negative results. Discrepancy analysis was performed for six conflicting results using a second real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay (Roche/TIB Molbiol) and this confirmed that four of the five discrepant positive results were true positives. A single discrepant negative result generated by the Roche assay remained negative using the second assay. Sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV) and negative predictive value (NPV) were calculated to be 98%, 98.6%, 98.0% and 98.6%, respectively. Melting curve analysis was used to differentiate genogroups I and II and this showed that 92% of strains belonged to genogroup II.
- Multiplex real time RT-PCR for the detection and quantitation of norovirus genogroups I and II in patients with acute gastroenteritis.
- Authors: Pang XL, Preiksaitis JK, Lee B
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Evaluation of RIDA<sup>®</sup>GENE norovirus GI/GII real time RT-PCR using stool specimens collected from children and adults with acute gastroenteritis.
- Authors: Kanwar N, Hassan F, Barclay L, Langley C, Vinjé J, Bryant PW, George KS, Mosher L, Matthews-Greer JM, Rocha MA, Beenhouwer DO, Harrison CJ, Moffatt M, Shastri N, Selvarangan R
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Evaluation of the Dako IDEIA norovirus EIA assay for detection of norovirus using faecal specimens from Australian gastroenteritis outbreaks.
- Authors: Dimitriadis A, Bruggink LD, Marshall JA
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Evaluation of real-time RT-PCR assays for detection and quantification of norovirus genogroups I and II.
- Authors: Rupprom K, Chavalitshewinkoon-Petmitr P, Diraphat P, Kittigul L
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Multiplex real-time RT-PCR for simultaneous detection of GI/GII noroviruses and murine norovirus 1.
- Authors: Stals A, Baert L, Botteldoorn N, Werbrouck H, Herman L, Uyttendaele M, Van Coillie E
- Issue date: 2009 Nov