Towards the development of integrated epilepsy services: an audit of documented epilepsy care.
AffiliationEpilepsy Programme, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9. email@example.com
MeSHDelivery of Health Care, Integrated
Primary Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTowards the development of integrated epilepsy services: an audit of documented epilepsy care., 104 (7):214-7 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractEffective chronic disease management (CDM) requires the ready availability and communication of accurate, clinical disease specific information. Using epilepsy as a probe into CDM, we report on the availability and reliability of clinical information in the primary care records of people with epilepsy (PWE). The medical records of 374 PWE from 53 general practices in the Mid-West region of Ireland were examined. Confirmation of an epilepsy diagnosis by a neurologist was documented for 132 (35%) patients. 282 (75%) patients had no documented evidence of receiving specialist neurology review while 149 (40%) had not been reviewed by their GP in the previous two years for their epilepsy. Significant variation in documentation of epilepsy specific information together with an inadequacy and inconsistency of existing epilepsy services was highlighted.
- Epilepsy in Ireland: towards the primary-tertiary care continuum.
- Authors: Varley J, Delanty N, Normand C, Coyne I, McQuaid L, Collins C, Boland M, Grimson J, Fitzsimons M
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Epilepsy care in general practice.
- Authors: Varley J, Fitzsimons M, Delanty N, Collins C, Boland M, Normand C
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Audit of the care of patients with epilepsy in general practice.
- Authors: Redhead K, Tasker P, Suchak K, Ahmed M, Copsey G, Roberts P, Daws J, Titmarsh M
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- Evidence-based models of care for people with epilepsy.
- Authors: Fitzsimons M, Normand C, Varley J, Delanty N
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Can district-wide audits improve primary care epilepsy management? An audit of seizure frequency recording.
- Authors: Hodgson J, Beardmore G, Hall WW
- Issue date: 2000 Mar