AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, Adelaide and Meath Hospitals, incorporating the National Children's Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Emigrants and Immigrants
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImported childhood malaria: the Dublin experience, 1999-2006. 2009, 178 (3):329-32 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractImported childhood malaria has never been studied in Ireland. We aimed to document the incidence and species of malaria in children presenting to paediatric hospitals in Dublin and to examine management and outcome measures.
Subjects were identified through laboratory archives from the three paediatric hospitals in Dublin. Clinical data were extracted retrospectively from clinical and laboratory records.
As much as 67 episodes of malaria occurred in 66 children. Episodes occurred among new immigrants (n = 31) and Irish residents (n = 33) who travelled to endemic regions. The majority of those who travelled to endemic regions did not receive appropriate prophylaxis. Plasmodium falciparum was identified in 64 (95%) episodes, 26 with a parasite load above 2%. Eighteen children developed complications. All cases were treated successfully.
Irish health-care practitioners need to encourage malaria prophylaxis among travellers to malaria-endemic regions. Management guidelines should be formulated to assist Irish clinicians treating this potentially fatal illness.
- Imported malaria in children in Madrid, Spain, 2007-2013.
- Authors: Sánchez BS, Tato LMP, Martín SG, Pérez E, Grasa C, Valderrama S, Augusto I, Sierra M, Ros MG, Aguado I, Hortelano MGL, cohort of children with malaria in Madrid, Spain.
- Issue date: 2017 Jun - Jul
- Imported pediatric malaria at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada: a 16 year review.
- Authors: Evans AB, Kulik D, Banerji A, Boggild A, Kain KC, Abdelhaleem M, Morris SK
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 4
- [Malaria diagnosis and treatment: analysis of a cohort of hospitalised patients at a tertiary level hospital (1998-2010)].
- Authors: Iborra MA, García E, Carrilero B, Segovia M
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Malaria surveillance--United States, 2012.
- Authors: Cullen KA, Arguin PM, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 5
- Trends in imported childhood malaria in the UK: 1999-2003.
- Authors: Ladhani S, Aibara RJ, Blaze M, Smith V, Shingadia DV
- Issue date: 2006 Nov