AffiliationAMNCH, Tallaght, Dublin 24. firstname.lastname@example.org
Genetic Predisposition to Disease
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInappropriate colonoscopic surveillance of hyperplastic polyps., 104 (7):211-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractColonoscopic surveillance of hyperplastic polyps alone is controversial and may be inappropriate. The colonoscopy surveillance register at a university teaching hospital was audited to determine the extent of such hyperplastic polyp surveillance. The surveillance endoscopy records were reviewed, those patients with hyperplastic polyps were identified, their clinical records were examined and contact was made with each patient. Of the 483 patients undergoing surveillance for colonic polyps 113 (23%) had hyperplastic polyps alone on last colonoscopy. 104 patients remained after exclusion of those under appropriate surveillance. 87 of the 104 patients (84%) were successfully contacted. 37 patients (8%) were under appropriate colonoscopic surveillance for a significant family history of colorectal carcinoma. 50 (10%) patients with hyperplastic polyps alone and no other clinical indication for colonoscopic surveillance were booked for follow up colonoscopy. This represents not only a budgetary but more importantly a clinical opportunity cost the removal of which could liberate valuable colonoscopy time for more appropriate indications.
- Increased incidence of colorectal adenomas in follow-up evaluation of patients with newly diagnosed hyperplastic polyps.
- Authors: Huang EH, Whelan RL, Gleason NR, Maeda JS, Terry MB, Lee SW, Neugut AI, Forde KA
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Colonoscopic surveillance after curative colorectal resection: results of an empirical surveillance programme.
- Authors: McFall MR, Woods WG, Miles WF
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Randomized comparison of surveillance intervals after colonoscopic removal of newly diagnosed adenomatous polyps. The National Polyp Study Workgroup.
- Authors: Winawer SJ, Zauber AG, O'Brien MJ, Ho MN, Gottlieb L, Sternberg SS, Waye JD, Bond J, Schapiro M, Stewart ET
- Issue date: 1993 Apr 1
- Colonic adenoma patients have higher incidence of hyperplastic polyps on surveillance colonoscopy.
- Authors: Qasim A, Muldoon C, McKiernan S
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Hyperplastic colonic polyps as a marker for adenomatous colonic polyps.
- Authors: Ansher AF, Lewis JH, Fleischer DE, Cattau EL Jr, Collen MJ, O'Kieffe DA, Korman LY, Benjamin SB
- Issue date: 1989 Feb