Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination and varicella status in inflammatory arthritis patients.
AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology, St James Hospital, Dublin 8. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInfluenza and pneumococcal vaccination and varicella status in inflammatory arthritis patients., 104 (7):208-11 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractPatients with inflammatory arthritis are at increased risk of vaccine preventable infections. This risk is increased by immunomodulatory therapies. Vaccination for influenza and pneumococcal disease reduces the risk. Severe cases of varicella infection have occurred in patients on biologic therapies. We sought to identify vaccination rates for commonly acquired infections and to ascertain varicella immune status in patients with inflammatory arthritis. 100 patients with inflammatory arthritis were administered a standardised questionnaire. Data collected included age, diagnosis, vaccination history, history of varicella, treatment and the presence of other indications for vaccination. 58 patients (58%) had not received the influenza vaccine in the past year. Only 19 patients (19%) had ever received pneumococcal vaccine. Anti TNF use did not predict vaccination (p = .46). An increasing number of co morbid conditions predicted both pneumococcal (p < 0.003) and influenza vaccine (p < 0.03) administration. Nineteen patients (19%) gave no history of varicella infection, none having had varicella titres checked pre treatment. Immunisation rates in patients with inflammatory arthritis on immunosuppressive therapies are low. Immunisation schedules should be available for each patient during rheumatology and general practice consultations.
- Prevalence and predictors of influenza and pneumococcal vaccine uptake in patients with diabetes.
- Authors: Clancy U, Moran I, Tuthill A
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Patients with inflammatory bowel disease are at risk for vaccine-preventable illnesses.
- Authors: Melmed GY, Ippoliti AF, Papadakis KA, Tran TT, Birt JL, Lee SK, Frenck RW, Targan SR, Vasiliauskas EA
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- An audit of influenza and pneumococcal vaccination in rheumatology outpatients.
- Authors: Sowden E, Mitchell WS
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 4
- Cluster randomised controlled trial of an educational outreach visit to improve influenza and pneumococcal immunisation rates in primary care.
- Authors: Siriwardena AN, Rashid A, Johnson MR, Dewey ME
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- [Pneumococcal vaccination for persons 65 years of age and older].
- Authors: van den Bosch WJ
- Issue date: 2002 May 4