Disparities in rheumatoid arthritis disease activity according to gross domestic product in 25 countries in the QUEST-RA database.
da Rocha Castelar Pinheiro, G
Hetland, M L
Maillefert, J F
Drosos, A A
AffiliationJyväskylä Central Hospital, 40620 Jyväskylä, Finland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost of Illness
Health Status Disparities
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDisparities in rheumatoid arthritis disease activity according to gross domestic product in 25 countries in the QUEST-RA database. 2009, 68 (11):1666-72 Ann. Rheum. Dis.
JournalAnnals of the rheumatic diseases
AbstractTo analyse associations between the clinical status of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and the gross domestic product (GDP) of their resident country.
The Quantitative Standard Monitoring of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis (QUEST-RA) cohort includes clinical and questionnaire data from 6004 patients who were seen in usual care at 70 rheumatology clinics in 25 countries as of April 2008, including 18 European countries. Demographic variables, clinical characteristics, RA disease activity measures, including the disease activity score in 28 joints (DAS28), and treatment-related variables were analysed according to GDP per capita, including 14 "high GDP" countries with GDP per capita greater than US$24,000 and 11 "low GDP" countries with GDP per capita less than US$11,000.
Disease activity DAS28 ranged between 3.1 and 6.0 among the 25 countries and was significantly associated with GDP (r = -0.78, 95% CI -0.56 to -0.90, r(2) = 61%). Disease activity levels differed substantially between "high GDP" and "low GDP" countries at much greater levels than according to whether patients were currently taking or not taking methotrexate, prednisone and/or biological agents.
The clinical status of patients with RA was correlated significantly with GDP among 25 mostly European countries according to all disease measures, associated only modestly with the current use of antirheumatic medications. The burden of arthritis appears substantially greater in "low GDP" than in "high GDP" countries. These findings may alert healthcare professionals and designers of health policy towards improving the clinical status of patients with RA in all countries.
- The association of fatigue, comorbidity burden, disease activity, disability and gross domestic product in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Results from 34 countries participating in the Quest-RA program.
- Authors: Grøn KL, Ornbjerg LM, Hetland ML, Aslam F, Khan NA, Jacobs JW, Henrohn D, Rasker JJ, Kauppi MJ, Lang HC, Mota LM, Aggarwal A, Yamanaka H, Badsha H, Gossec L, Cutolo M, Ferraccioli G, Gremese E, Bong Lee E, Inanc N, Direskeneli H, Taylor P, Huisman M, Alten R, Pohl C, Oyoo O, Stropuviene S, Drosos AA, Kerzberg E, Ancuta C, Mofti A, Bergman M, Detert J, Selim ZI, Abda EA, Rexhepi B, Sokka T
- Issue date: 2014 Nov-Dec
- Work disability remains a major problem in rheumatoid arthritis in the 2000s: data from 32 countries in the QUEST-RA study.
- Authors: Sokka T, Kautiainen H, Pincus T, Verstappen SM, Aggarwal A, Alten R, Andersone D, Badsha H, Baecklund E, Belmonte M, Craig-Müller J, da Mota LM, Dimic A, Fathi NA, Ferraccioli G, Fukuda W, Géher P, Gogus F, Hajjaj-Hassouni N, Hamoud H, Haugeberg G, Henrohn D, Horslev-Petersen K, Ionescu R, Karateew D, Kuuse R, Laurindo IM, Lazovskis J, Luukkainen R, Mofti A, Murphy E, Nakajima A, Oyoo O, Pandya SC, Pohl C, Predeteanu D, Rexhepi M, Rexhepi S, Sharma B, Shono E, Sibilia J, Sierakowski S, Skopouli FN, Stropuviene S, Toloza S, Valter I, Woolf A, Yamanaka H, QUEST-RA
- Issue date: 2010
- Lower education and living in countries with lower wealth are associated with higher disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis: results from the multinational COMORA study.
- Authors: Putrik P, Ramiro S, Keszei AP, Hmamouchi I, Dougados M, Uhlig T, Kvien TK, Boonen A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- QUEST-RA: quantitative clinical assessment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis seen in standard rheumatology care in 15 countries.
- Authors: Sokka T, Kautiainen H, Toloza S, Mäkinen H, Verstappen SM, Lund Hetland M, Naranjo A, Baecklund E, Herborn G, Rau R, Cazzato M, Gossec L, Skakic V, Gogus F, Sierakowski S, Bresnihan B, Taylor P, McClinton C, Pincus T, QUEST-RA Group
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Women, men, and rheumatoid arthritis: analyses of disease activity, disease characteristics, and treatments in the QUEST-RA study.
- Authors: Sokka T, Toloza S, Cutolo M, Kautiainen H, Makinen H, Gogus F, Skakic V, Badsha H, Peets T, Baranauskaite A, Géher P, Ujfalussy I, Skopouli FN, Mavrommati M, Alten R, Pohl C, Sibilia J, Stancati A, Salaffi F, Romanowski W, Zarowny-Wierzbinska D, Henrohn D, Bresnihan B, Minnock P, Knudsen LS, Jacobs JW, Calvo-Alen J, Lazovskis J, Pinheiro Gda R, Karateev D, Andersone D, Rexhepi S, Yazici Y, Pincus T, QUEST-RA Group
- Issue date: 2009