Alcohol screening and brief intervention among drug users in primary care: a discussion paper.
AffiliationUCD School of Medicine and Medical Science, Coombe Healthcare Centre, Dolphins Barn, Dublin 8, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAlcohol screening and brief intervention among drug users in primary care: a discussion paper. 2011:notIr J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Problem alcohol use is common among problem drug users (PDU) and associated with adverse health outcomes. Primary care has an important role in the overall stepped approach to alcohol treatment, especially screening and brief intervention (SBI). AIM: To discuss three themes that emerged from an exploration of the literature on SBI for problem alcohol use in drug users attending primary care. METHODS: Material for this discussion paper was gathered from three biomedical databases (PubMed, PsycINFO and Cochrane library), conference proceedings and online resources of professional organisations or national health agencies. RESULTS: Themes discussed in this paper are: (a) the potential of primary care for delivery of alcohol SBIs to PDUs, (b) screening methods and (c) application of brief interventions to PDUs. CONCLUSIONS: Although SBI improves health outcomes associated with problem alcohol use in the general population, further research is needed among high-risk patient groups, especially PDUs.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Psychosocial interventions to reduce alcohol consumption in concurrent problem alcohol and illicit drug users.
- Authors: Klimas J, Fairgrieve C, Tobin H, Field CA, O'Gorman CS, Glynn LG, Keenan E, Saunders J, Bury G, Dunne C, Cullen W
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 5
- Electronic screening and brief intervention for unhealthy alcohol use in primary care waiting rooms - A pilot project.
- Authors: Bertholet N, Cunningham JA, Adam A, McNeely J, Daeppen JB
- Issue date: 2020
- Psychosocial interventions for alcohol use among problem drug users: protocol for a feasibility study in primary care.
- Authors: Klimas J, Anderson R, Bourke M, Bury G, Field CA, Kaner E, Keane R, Keenan E, Meagher D, Murphy B, O'Gorman CS, O'Toole TP, Saunders J, Smyth BP, Dunne C, Cullen W
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 2
- Feasibility of alcohol screening and brief intervention.
- Authors: Schermer CR
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Strategies in primary healthcare to implement early identification of risky alcohol consumption: why do they work or not? A qualitative evaluation of the ODHIN study.
- Authors: Keurhorst M, Heinen M, Colom J, Linderoth C, Müssener U, Okulicz-Kozaryn K, Palacio-Vieira J, Segura L, Silfversparre F, Słodownik L, Sorribes E, Laurant M, Wensing M
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 7