Pneumococcal meningitis: clinical outcomes in a pre-vaccine era at a Dublin paediatric hospital, 1999-2007.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, Children's University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin 1, Ireland. Juliette.Lucey@health.wa.gov.au
Length of Stay
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPneumococcal meningitis: clinical outcomes in a pre-vaccine era at a Dublin paediatric hospital, 1999-2007. 2011, 180 (1):47-50 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractTo document the long-term outcomes of pneumococcal meningitis in children presenting to a Dublin paediatric hospital in the pre-pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) era (1998-2007).
Subjects with pneumococcal meningitis were identified at The Children's University Hospital, Dublin through the hospital surveillance system and laboratory archives.
44 children were identified with S. pneumoniae meningitis. Mean age of presentation was 23.45 months (2 days to 13 years) and 28 (65%) cases were less than 12 months old. Eight (18.6%) children died. 55% of cases were left with significant deficits. Of the survivors, 7 (20%) had moderate to severe neurological sequelae.
Pneumococcal meningitis is a devastating childhood disease with significant mortality and morbidity, especially in those less than 2 years of age. These data provide a baseline against which the impact of PCV7 on pneumococcal meningitis can be measured.
- Pneumococcal meningitis in the era of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine implementation.
- Authors: Bingen E, Levy C, Varon E, de La Rocque F, Boucherat M, d'Athis P, Aujard Y, Cohen R, Bacterial Meningitis Study Group.
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- [Pneumococcal meningitis in children in France: 832 cases from 2001 to 2007].
- Authors: Levy C, Varon E, Bingen E, Picard C, de La Rocque F, Aujard Y, Cohen R, Groupe des pédiatres et microbiologistes de l'Observatoire National des Méningites.
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Pneumococcal meningitis in children: epidemiology, serotypes, and outcomes from 1997-2010 in Utah.
- Authors: Stockmann C, Ampofo K, Byington CL, Filloux F, Hersh AL, Blaschke AJ, Cowan P, Korgenski K, Mason EO, Pavia AT
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- [Pneumococcal meningitis in children--9 1/2-year-experience at Szent László Hospital, Budapest, Hungary].
- Authors: Ivády B, Liptai Z, Ujhelyi E, Balázs G
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 30
- Four years of universal pneumococcal conjugate infant vaccination in Germany: impact on incidence of invasive pneumococcal disease and serotype distribution in children.
- Authors: van der Linden M, Weiß S, Falkenhorst G, Siedler A, Imöhl M, von Kries R
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 31