Amine functionalization of cholecyst-derived extracellular matrix with generation 1 PAMAM dendrimer.
AffiliationNational Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland, Galway, Republic of Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAmine functionalization of cholecyst-derived extracellular matrix with generation 1 PAMAM dendrimer. 2008, 9 (2):528-36 Biomacromolecules
AbstractA method to functionalize cholecyst-derived extracellular matrix (CEM) with free amine groups was established in an attempt to improve its potential for tethering of bioactive molecules. CEM was incorporated with Generation-1 polyamidoamine (G1 PAMAM) dendrimer by using N-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-N'-ethylcarbodiimide and N-hydroxysuccinimide cross-linking system. The nature of incorporation of PAMAM dendrimer was evaluated using shrink temperature measurements, Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) assessment, ninhydrin assay, and swellability. The effects of PAMAM incorporation on mechanical and degradation properties of CEM were evaluated using a uniaxial mechanical test and collagenase degradation assay, respectively. Ninhydrin assay and FTIR assessment confirmed the presence of increasing free amine groups with increasing quantity of PAMAM in dendrimer-incorporated CEM (DENCEM) scaffolds. The amount of dendrimer used was found to be critical in controlling scaffold degradation, shrink temperature, and free amine content. Cell culture studies showed that fibroblasts seeded on DENCEM maintained their metabolic activity and ability to proliferate in vitro. In addition, fluorescence cell staining and scanning electron microscopy analysis of cell-seeded DENCEM showed preservation of normal fibroblast morphology and phenotype.
- Enhancing amine terminals in an amine-deprived collagen matrix.
- Authors: Tiong WH, Damodaran G, Naik H, Kelly JL, Pandit A
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 21
- Tailoring the properties of cholecyst-derived extracellular matrix using carbodiimide cross-linking.
- Authors: Burugapalli K, Chan JC, Naik H, Kelly JL, Pandit A
- Issue date: 2009
- Enhanced biological stability of collagen with incorporation of PAMAM dendrimer.
- Authors: Zhong S, Yung LY
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Amine functionalization of collagen matrices with multifunctional polyethylene glycol systems.
- Authors: Ward J, Kelly J, Wang W, Zeugolis DI, Pandit A
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 8
- Scaffold with a natural mesh-like architecture: isolation, structural, and in vitro characterization.
- Authors: Burugapalli K, Thapasimuttu A, Chan JC, Yao L, Brody S, Kelly JL, Pandit A
- Issue date: 2007 Mar