Rupture of an expander prosthesis mimics axillary cancer recurrence.
AffiliationPlastic Surgery Department, University College Hospital, Newcastle Road, Galway, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Tissue Expansion Devices
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRupture of an expander prosthesis mimics axillary cancer recurrence. 2005, 58 (7):1027-8 Br J Plast Surg
JournalBritish journal of plastic surgery
AbstractRegional silicone gel migration from a ruptured breast implant has been reported at different locations including the upper extremity, chest wall muscles, axilla and back. We report a patient who presented with an axillary mass that mimicked a regional recurrence 5 years after breast cancer reconstruction with a latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flap and silicon gel expander-prosthesis. Surgical exploration revealed that the mass contained silicone gel around the port of the breast expander that had ruptured. The mass was confluent with an intracapsular silicone leak through a tract along the tube of the expander port.
- Silicone gel breast implant rupture presenting as a fluctuant back mass after latissimus dorsi breast reconstruction.
- Authors: Baack BR, Wagner JD
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Regional silicone-gel migration in patients with ruptured implants.
- Authors: Ahn CY, Shaw WW
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Axillary lipogranuloma mimicking carcinoma metastasis after silicone breast implant rupture: a case report.
- Authors: Gundeslioglu AO, Hakverdi S, Erdem O, Ozen EC, Inan I, Emlik D
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Locoregional silicone spread after high cohesive gel silicone implant rupture.
- Authors: Lahiri A, Waters R
- Issue date: 2006
- Severe migratory granulomatous reactions to silicone gel in 3 patients.
- Authors: Teuber SS, Reilly DA, Howell L, Oide C, Gershwin ME
- Issue date: 1999 Mar