Generation of a vascularized organoid using skeletal muscle as the inductive source.
Bortolotto, Susan K
Cassell, Oliver C S
Abberton, Keren M
Morrison, Wayne A
AffiliationBernard O'Brien Institute of Microsurgery, St. Vincent's Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia. email@example.com
Rats, Mutant Strains
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGeneration of a vascularized organoid using skeletal muscle as the inductive source. 2005, 19 (11):1570-2 FASEB J.
JournalThe FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
AbstractThe technology required for creating an in vivo microenvironment and a neovasculature that can grow with and service new tissue is lacking, precluding the possibility of engineering complex three-dimensional organs. We have shown that when an arterio-venous (AV) loop is constructed in vivo in the rat groin, and placed inside a semisealed chamber, an extensive functional vasculature is generated. To test whether this unusually angiogenic environment supports the survival and growth of implanted tissue or cells, we inserted various preparations of rat and human skeletal muscle. We show that after 6 weeks incubation of muscle tissue, the chamber filled with predominantly well-vascularized recipient-derived adipose tissue, but some new donor-derived skeletal muscle and connective tissue were also evident. When primary cultured myoblasts were inserted into the chamber with the AV loop, they converted to mature striated muscle fibers. Furthermore, we identify novel adipogenesis-inducing properties of skeletal muscle. This represents the first report of a specific three-dimensional tissue grown on its own vascular supply.
- Tissue-engineered axially vascularized contractile skeletal muscle.
- Authors: Borschel GH, Dow DE, Dennis RG, Brown DL
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Implanted myoblast survival is dependent on the degree of vascularization in a novel delayed implantation/prevascularization tissue engineering model.
- Authors: Tilkorn DJ, Bedogni A, Keramidaris E, Han X, Palmer JA, Dingle AM, Cowling BS, Williams MD, McKay SM, Pepe L, Deftereos A, Morrison WA, Penington AJ, Mitchell GM
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Vascularized three-dimensional skeletal muscle tissue-engineering.
- Authors: Saxena AK, Willital GH, Vacanti JP
- Issue date: 2001
- Cardiac tissue engineering in an in vivo vascularized chamber.
- Authors: Morritt AN, Bortolotto SK, Dilley RJ, Han X, Kompa AR, McCombe D, Wright CE, Itescu S, Angus JA, Morrison WA
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 23
- Engineering vascularized skeletal muscle tissue.
- Authors: Levenberg S, Rouwkema J, Macdonald M, Garfein ES, Kohane DS, Darland DC, Marini R, van Blitterswijk CA, Mulligan RC, D'Amore PA, Langer R
- Issue date: 2005 Jul