Immediate re-transplantation following early kidney transplant thrombosis.
AffiliationDepartments of Nephrology Transplantation, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImmediate re-transplantation following early kidney transplant thrombosis. 2011, 16 (6):607-11 Nephrology (Carlton)
JournalNephrology (Carlton, Vic.)
AbstractAllograft thrombosis is a devastating early complication of renal transplantation that ultimately leads to allograft loss. We report here on our experience of nine cases of immediate re-transplantation following early kidney transplant thrombosis at a single centre between January 1990 and June 2009. The mean age was 42.9 years at time of transplant. For seven patients, the allograft thrombosis was their first kidney transplant and seven of the nine cases had a deceased donor transplant. The initial transplants functioned for a mean of 1.67 days and the patients received a second allograft at a mean of 3.1 days after graft failure. All of the re-transplants worked immediately. Four allografts failed after a mean of 52.5 months (2-155 months). Two of these died with a functioning allograft, one failed owing to chronic allograft nephropathy and one owing to persistent acute cellular rejection. The remaining five patients still have a functioning allograft after a mean of 101.8 months (7-187 months). One year allograft and patient survival after re-transplantation were 87.5% and 100% respectively (after 5 years, both were 57%). Immediate re-transplantation following early kidney transplant thrombosis can be a success. It may be considered in selected cases after allograft thrombosis.
- Primary renal graft thrombosis.
- Authors: Bakir N, Sluiter WJ, Ploeg RJ, van Son WJ, Tegzess AM
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- A single-center study of the technical aspects and outcome of third and subsequent renal transplants.
- Authors: Hagan C, Hickey DP, Little DM
- Issue date: 2003 May 27
- [Renal graft survival in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus].
- Authors: Chew-Wong A, Soltero L, Diná E, Alvarez-Sandoval E, Alberú J, Gamba G, Correa-Rotter R
- Issue date: 2002 Jan-Feb
- Does nephrectomy of failed allograft influence graft survival after re-transplantation?
- Authors: Ahmad N, Ahmed K, Mamode N
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Renal allograft loss in the first post-operative month: causes and consequences.
- Authors: Phelan PJ, O'Kelly P, Tarazi M, Tarazi N, Salehmohamed MR, Little DM, Magee C, Conlon PJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jul-Aug