AffiliationDepartment of Breast Surgery, BreastCheck, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRadiotherapy and breast reconstruction: a meta-analysis. 2011, 127 (1):15-22 Breast Cancer Res. Treat.
JournalBreast cancer research and treatment
AbstractThe optimum sequencing of breast reconstruction (BR) in patients receiving postmastectomy radiation therapy (PMRT) is controversial. A comprehensive search of published studies that examined postoperative morbidity following immediate or delayed BR with combined radiotherapy was performed. Medical (MEDLINE & EMBASE) databases were searched and cross-referenced for appropriate studies where morbidity following BR was the primary outcome measured. A total of 1,105 patients were identified from 11 appropriately selected studies. Patients undergoing PMRT and BR are more likely to suffer morbidity compared with patients not receiving PMRT (OR = 4.2; 95% CI, 2.4-7.2 [no PMRT vs. PMRT]). Reconstruction technique was also examined with outcome when PMRT was delivered after BR, and this demonstrated that autologous reconstruction is associated with less morbidity in this setting (OR = 0.21; 95% CI, 0.1-0.4 [autologous vs. implant-based]). Delaying BR until after PMRT had no significant effect on outcome (OR = 0.87; 95% CI, 0.47-1.62 [delayed vs. immediate]). PMRT has a detrimental effect on BR outcome. These results suggest that where immediate reconstruction is undertaken with the necessity of PMRT, an autologous flap results in less morbidity when compared with implant-based reconstruction.
- Postmastectomy radiation therapy and breast reconstruction: an analysis of complications and patient satisfaction.
- Authors: Lee BT, A Adesiyun T, Colakoglu S, Curtis MS, Yueh JH, E Anderson K, Tobias AM, Recht A
- Issue date: 2010 May
- An assessment of the risks and benefits of immediate autologous breast reconstruction in patients undergoing postmastectomy radiation therapy.
- Authors: Mirzabeigi MN, Smartt JM, Nelson JA, Fosnot J, Serletti JM, Wu LC
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Clinical outcomes of postmastectomy radiation therapy after immediate breast reconstruction.
- Authors: Jhaveri JD, Rush SC, Kostroff K, Derisi D, Farber LA, Maurer VE, Bosworth JL
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 1
- Delayed autologous breast reconstruction after postmastectomy radiation therapy: is there an optimal time?
- Authors: Momoh AO, Colakoglu S, de Blacam C, Gautam S, Tobias AM, Lee BT
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the technical delivery of postmastectomy radiotherapy.
- Authors: Motwani SB, Strom EA, Schechter NR, Butler CE, Lee GK, Langstein HN, Kronowitz SJ, Meric-Bernstam F, Ibrahim NK, Buchholz TA
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 1