Dependence and caregiver burden in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment.
Ni Mhaolain, Aine
Coen, Robert F
Walsh, J Bernard
Lawlor, Brian A
AffiliationMercer's Institute for Research on Ageing, St James's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Cost of Illness
Predictive Value of Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDependence and caregiver burden in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment. 2011, 26 (2):110-4 Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen
JournalAmerican journal of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
AbstractThe dependence scale has been designed to be sensitive to the overall care needs of the patient and is considered distinct from standard measures of functional ability in this regard. Little is known regarding the relationship between patient dependence and caregiver burden. We recruited 100 patients with Alzheimer's disease or mild cognitive impairment and their caregivers through a memory clinic. Patient function, dependence, hours of care, cognition, neuropsychiatric symptoms, and caregiver burden were assessed. Dependence was significantly correlated with caregiver burden. Functional decline and dependence were most predictive of caregiver burden in patients with mild impairment while behavioral symptoms were most predictive in patients with moderate to severe disease. The dependence scale demonstrated good utility as a predictor of caregiver burden. Interventions to reduce caregiver burden should address patient dependence, functional decline, and behavioral symptoms while successful management of the latter becomes more critical with disease progression.
- Does cognitive impairment influence burden in caregivers of patients with Alzheimer's disease?
- Authors: Germain S, Adam S, Olivier C, Cash H, Ousset PJ, Andrieu S, Vellas B, Meulemans T, Reynish E, Salmon E, ICTUS-EADC Network.
- Issue date: 2009
- [Predictors of long-term institutionalization in patients with Alzheimer's disease: role of caregiver burden].
- Authors: Hirono N, Tsukamoto N, Inoue M, Moriwaki Y, Mori E
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- [Impact of music therapy on anxiety and depression for patients with Alzheimer's disease and on the burden felt by the main caregiver (feasibility study)].
- Authors: Guetin S, Portet F, Picot MC, Defez C, Pose C, Blayac JP, Touchon J
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Anxiety and behavioural disturbance as markers of prodromal Alzheimer's disease in patients with mild cognitive impairment.
- Authors: Gallagher D, Coen R, Kilroy D, Belinski K, Bruce I, Coakley D, Walsh B, Cunningham C, Lawlor BA
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Cognitive function and caregiver burden: predictive factors for eating behaviour disorders in Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Rivière S, Gillette-Guyonnet S, Andrieu S, Nourhashemi F, Lauque S, Cantet C, Salva A, Frisoni G, Vellas B
- Issue date: 2002 Oct