Hepatitis C: is there a case for universal screening in pregnancy?
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Coombe Women & Infant's University Hospital, Dolphin's Barn, Dublin 8. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHepatitis C: is there a case for universal screening in pregnancy? 2011, 104 (5):144-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractHepatitis C (HCV) is not routinely screened for antenatally in all maternity hospitals. Most hospitals adopt a policy of targeted screening. The policy in the Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital in Dublin changed from targeted screening in 2006 to universal screening in 2007. We audited the two consecutive years. The prevalence of HCV in our antenatal population was 1.4% for 2006 (67/4666) when targeted screening applied and in 2007--0.71% (66/9222) when universal screening came into affect. One woman in 2007 would not have been detected by targeted screening--1.49% (1/67). Fifty five percent (37/67) of women were HCV-RNA positive in 2006 and 57.5% (38/66) were positive in 2007. We conclude that there were similar detection rates for HCV in 2006 and 2007 and that universal screening is not required if inclusive criteria for selective screening are employed but is of use in research context.
- Evaluation of a universal vs a targeted hepatitis C virus screening strategy among pregnant women at the Vienna University Hospital.
- Authors: Diab-Elschahawi M, Dosch V, Honsig C, Jatzko B, Segagni L, Assadian O, Presterl E
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Prevalence of hepatitis C among pregnant women attending an inner London obstetric department: uptake and acceptability of named antenatal testing.
- Authors: Ward C, Tudor-Williams G, Cotzias T, Hargreaves S, Regan L, Foster GR
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- HBV and HCV prevalence and viraemia in HIV-positive and HIV-negative pregnant women in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire: the ANRS 1236 study.
- Authors: Rouet F, Chaix ML, Inwoley A, Msellati P, Viho I, Combe P, Leroy V, Dabis F, Rouzioux C, ANRS 1236 DITRAME-B&C Study Group.
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among indigent urban pregnant women in Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Madzime S, William MA, Mohamed K, October T, Adem M, Mudzamiri S, Woelk GB
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Hepatitis C in pregnancy.
- Authors: Dinsmoor MJ
- Issue date: 2001 Aug