AffiliationDepartment of Neurology and Clinical Neurosciences, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, and Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHAlcohol Withdrawal Delirium
Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures
Combined Modality Therapy
Diagnosis, Dual (Psychiatry)
Liver Diseases, Alcoholic
Patient Care Team
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe alcohol withdrawal syndrome. 2008, 79 (8):854-62 J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatr.
JournalJournal of neurology, neurosurgery, and psychiatry
AbstractThe alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS) is a common management problem in hospital practice for neurologists, psychiatrists and general physicians alike. Although some patients have mild symptoms and may even be managed in the outpatient setting, others have more severe symptoms or a history of adverse outcomes that requires close inpatient supervision and benzodiazepine therapy. Many patients with AWS have multiple management issues (withdrawal symptoms, delirium tremens, the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, seizures, depression, polysubstance abuse, electrolyte disturbances and liver disease), which requires a coordinated, multidisciplinary approach. Although AWS may be complex, careful evaluation and available treatments should ensure safe detoxification for most patients.
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome: how to predict, prevent, diagnose and treat it.
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Nursing assessment and management of alcohol-related brain damage in young people.
- Authors: Brown J, McColm R, Aindow J, Anderson J
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 20-26
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome: mechanisms, manifestations, and management.
- Authors: Jesse S, Bråthen G, Ferrara M, Keindl M, Ben-Menachem E, Tanasescu R, Brodtkorb E, Hillbom M, Leone MA, Ludolph AC
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Identifying patients "at risk" for alcohol withdrawal syndrome and a treatment protocol.
- Authors: Schumacher L, Pruitt JN 2nd, Phillips M
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- [Diagnostics and therapy of alcohol withdrawal syndrome: focus on delirium tremens and withdrawal seizure].
- Authors: Lutz UC, Batra A
- Issue date: 2010 Sep