Evaluation of formal feedback on endoscopic competence among trainees: the EFFECT trial.
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Education, Medical, Graduate
Internship and Residency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEvaluation of formal feedback on endoscopic competence among trainees: the EFFECT trial. 2008, 177 (3):253-6 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractThe medical literature describes disparity in colonoscopy performance. This randomised, controlled study aimed to characterise the impact of feedback on colonoscopy performance among gastroenterology (GI) trainees.
Gastroenterology trainees of similar experience levels who independently performed 581 colonoscopies over the study period were randomised to receive feedback/no feedback on their colonoscopy performance.
Baseline colonoscopy performance was similar in both groups. Following feedback, caecal intubation improved by 10.5% (from 72.9 to 83.4%, p = 0.04) in the feedback group and declined by 6.1% (from 78 to 71.9%, p = 0.2) in the control group; polyp detection improved by 5.1% (from 12.9 to 18.0%, p = 0.2) in the feedback group and by 2.9% (from 16.7 to 19.6%, p = 0.5) in the control group.
Systematic feedback appears to enhance colonoscopy performance among GI trainees.
- Quality of colonoscopy performance among gastroenterology and surgical trainees: a need for common training standards for all trainees?
- Authors: Leyden JE, Doherty GA, Hanley A, McNamara DA, Shields C, Leader M, Murray FE, Patchett SE, Harewood GC
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- An adequate level of training for technical competence in screening and diagnostic colonoscopy: a prospective multicenter evaluation of the learning curve.
- Authors: Lee SH, Chung IK, Kim SJ, Kim JO, Ko BM, Hwangbo Y, Kim WH, Park DH, Lee SK, Park CH, Baek IH, Park DI, Park SJ, Ji JS, Jang BI, Jeen YT, Shin JE, Byeon JS, Eun CS, Han DS
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Competence measurement during colonoscopy training: the use of self-assessment of performance measures.
- Authors: Koch AD, Haringsma J, Schoon EJ, de Man RA, Kuipers EJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Colonoscopy training in gastroenterology fellowships: determining competence.
- Authors: Spier BJ, Benson M, Pfau PR, Nelligan G, Lucey MR, Gaumnitz EA
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- The impact of constructive feedback on training in gastrointestinal endoscopy using high-fidelity Virtual-Reality simulation: a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Kruglikova I, Grantcharov TP, Drewes AM, Funch-Jensen P
- Issue date: 2010 Feb