AuthorsHarewood, Gavin C
AffiliationDivision of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHBile Duct Neoplasms
Cholangiopancreatography, Endoscopic Retrograde
Early Detection of Cancer
Image Interpretation, Computer-Assisted
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEndoscopic tissue diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma. 2008, 24 (5):627-30 Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol.
JournalCurrent opinion in gastroenterology
AbstractThe extremely poor outcome in patients with cholangiocarcinoma, in large part, reflects the late presentation of these tumors and the challenging nature of establishing a tissue diagnosis. Establishing a diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma requires obtaining evidence of malignancy from sampling of the epithelium of the biliary tract, which has proven to be challenging. Although endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration performs slightly better than endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in diagnosing cholangiocarcinoma, both endoscopic approaches demonstrate disappointing performance characteristics.
The limitations of cytologic analysis have recently led to the evaluation of new technologies such as digital image analysis and fluorescence in-situ hybridization to enhance diagnostic sensitivity. Both of these approaches carry the ability to identify malignant cells in samples of limited cellularity and thereby provide enhanced diagnostic sensitivity.
Overall, recognizing the limited sensitivity of diagnostic approaches for tissue diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma, it would appear prudent to pursue further tissue sampling when there is a strong clinical suspicion of malignancy despite a prior negative/nondiagnostic result.
- Endoscopic ultrasound staging of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Levy MJ, Heimbach JK, Gores GJ
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Endoscopic techniques to diagnose and manage biliary tumors.
- Authors: Brugge WR
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 10
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided FNA biopsy of bile duct and gallbladder: analysis of 53 cases.
- Authors: Meara RS, Jhala D, Eloubeidi MA, Eltoum I, Chhieng DC, Crowe DR, Varadarajulu S, Jhala N
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Triple-tissue sampling during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography increases the overall diagnostic sensitivity for cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Lee SJ, Lee YS, Lee MG, Lee SH, Shin E, Hwang JH
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Hepatic intraductal oncocytic papillary carcinoma.
- Authors: Cocieru A, Kesha K, El-Fanek H, Saldinger PF
- Issue date: 2010 May