AffiliationBeaumont Hospital, Education and Research Centre, Respiratory Research Division, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 9 Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHAnti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal
Gene Expression Regulation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationToll-like receptors as therapeutic targets in cystic fibrosis. 2008, 12 (12):1481-95 Expert Opin. Ther. Targets
JournalExpert opinion on therapeutic targets
AbstractBackground: Toll-like receptors (TLRs) are pattern recognition receptors that act as a first-line of defence in the innate immune response by recognising and responding to conserved molecular patterns in microbial factors and endogenous danger signals. Cystic fibrosis (CF)-affected airways represent a milieu potentially rich in TLR agonists and the chronic inflammatory phenotype evident in CF airway epithelial cells is probably due in large part to activation of TLRs. Objective/methods: To examine the prospects of developing novel therapies for CF by targeting TLRs. We outline the expression and function of TLRs and explore the therapeutic potential of naturally-occurring and synthetic TLR inhibitors for CF. Results/conclusion: Modulation of TLRs has therapeutic potential for the inflammatory lung manifestations of CF.
- Toll-Like Receptors in Cystic Fibrosis: Impact of Dysfunctional microRNA on Innate Immune Responses in the Cystic Fibrosis Lung.
- Authors: Vencken SF, Greene CM
- Issue date: 2016
- Circulating and airway neutrophils in cystic fibrosis display different TLR expression and responsiveness to interleukin-10.
- Authors: Petit-Bertron AF, Tabary O, Corvol H, Jacquot J, Clément A, Cavaillon JM, Adib-Conquy M
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- TLR-induced inflammation in cystic fibrosis and non-cystic fibrosis airway epithelial cells.
- Authors: Greene CM, Carroll TP, Smith SG, Taggart CC, Devaney J, Griffin S, O'neill SJ, McElvaney NG
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 1
- Targeting Toll-like receptors with small molecule agents.
- Authors: Wang X, Smith C, Yin H
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 21
- Toll-like receptors in normal and cystic fibrosis airway epithelial cells.
- Authors: Muir A, Soong G, Sokol S, Reddy B, Gomez MI, Van Heeckeren A, Prince A
- Issue date: 2004 Jun