AffiliationDepartment of Child Psychiatry, Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDeliberate Self-Harm (DSH): a follow-up study of Irish children. 2009, 102 (4):102-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis study aimed to look at rates of repetition in children presenting with Deliberate Self-Harm (DSH) to a paediatric A&E department. Children presenting with DSH to a paediatric A&E between 2000 and 2005 were invited to participate in the study. Telephone interviews collected information on demographic details and mental health functioning, including repetition of DSH. Data was obtained from 39 parents and 10 children (31 girls and 8 boys, mean age 15) 1 in 5 females (20%) had made a repeat attempt of DSH and 1 in 10 (10%) had repeated more than once. No males repeated self-harm. On going parental concern rather than clinician risk assessment at index episode predicted subsequent DSH. Given the poor predictive value of clinician risk assessment, all attempts of DSH must be taken seriously, especially those associated with ongoing parental concern.
- Deliberate self-harm patients in the emergency department: factors associated with repeated self-harm among 1524 patients.
- Authors: Bilén K, Ottosson C, Castrén M, Ponzer S, Ursing C, Ranta P, Ekdahl K, Pettersson H
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Factors associated with deliberate self-harm among Irish adolescents.
- Authors: McMahon EM, Reulbach U, Corcoran P, Keeley HS, Perry IJ, Arensman E
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Predicting deliberate self-harm in adolescents: a six month prospective study.
- Authors: O'Connor RC, Rasmussen S, Hawton K
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Early predictors of deliberate self-harm among adolescents. A prospective follow-up study from age 3 to age 15.
- Authors: Sourander A, Aromaa M, Pihlakoski L, Haavisto A, Rautava P, Helenius H, Sillanpää M
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- [Risk factors of near-fatal deliberate self-harm behavior in self-cutting patients: a three-year follow-up study at a psychiatric clinic].
- Authors: Matsumoto T, Azekawa T, Itami A, Takeshima T
- Issue date: 2008