A study of the factors influencing school-going students considering medical careers.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland; Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA study of the factors influencing school-going students considering medical careers. 2011, 9 (4):191-4 Surgeon
JournalThe surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland
AbstractObtaining a place in an Irish medical school is extremely competitive, a situation mirrored in many other countries. We aimed to determine the factors influencing school students in deciding to study medicine in university. We further determined what level of interest exists in pursuing a surgical career after completion of medical school.
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland hosts an annual "Introduction to Medicine" programme for senior school children. Attendees were surveyed using a Likert scale to examine the factors influencing the group in choosing to study medicine, and pursue surgery as their ultimate career choice.
A total of 128 completed the survey, giving a response rate of 100%. The opportunity to help others was most the most influential factors cited by students (97%). Males were significantly more likely to have an interest in a career in surgery rather than medicine (p = 0.003), and ranked "financial reward" (p = 0.036) as a more significant factors in influencing career choice than did females.
A clear understanding of these factors influencing our students in their career choices and a strategy of recruitment based on these is imperative in order to optimize recruitment of students most suited to working as doctors.
- Future choice of specialty among students in a Caribbean medical school.
- Authors: Orisatoki RO, Oguntibeju OO
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Mar
- Choosing a career in surgery: factors that influence Canadian medical students' interest in pursuing a surgical career.
- Authors: Scott IM, Matejcek AN, Gowans MC, Wright BJ, Brenneis FR
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Why medical students switch careers: changing course during the preclinical years of medical school.
- Authors: Scott I, Gowans MC, Wright B, Brenneis F
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Mini-Med School: promoting awareness of medicine as a career for suburban and rural high-school students.
- Authors: Shaikh FM, Babar M, Cross KS
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Undergraduate experience of surgical teaching and its influence and its influence on career choice.
- Authors: Ek EW, Ek ET, Mackay SD
- Issue date: 2005 Aug