Relationship between parent held child records for immunisations, parental recall and health service.
AffiliationLifeways Cross-Generation Cohort Study Steering Group, School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Population Science, Woodview House, UCD Dublin 4.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRelationship between parent held child records for immunisations, parental recall and health service. 2011, 104 (3):73-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractParent held child records (PHCR) were introduced in Ireland in 2008. This study investigated the relationship between the PHCR, parental recall and regional Health Service Executive (HSE) records for immunisation uptake. It used the Lifeways cohort study of 1070 singleton children to compare immunisation data from PHCR at one year, parental recall at five years and information from the HSE. When compared to HSE records, full recording of primary immunisations in the PHCR was reported for 695 of 749 (92.8%) children. Parental recall was correct for 520 of 538 (96.7%) children. Of the 307 completed PHCRs, 207 (75.9%) agreed with the HSE records. Agreement between the three sources for primary immunisations was 74-93% but was not statistically significant. Agreement was 91% (p < 0.001) for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccines between parental recall and HSE records. PHCRs underestimated and parental recall overestimated immunisation status when compared with HSE records.
- Errors and correlates in parental recall of child immunizations: effects on vaccination coverage estimates.
- Authors: Suarez L, Simpson DM, Smith DR
- Issue date: 1997 May
- Socio-demographic and health-related predictors of uptake of first MMR immunisation in the Lifeways Cohort Study.
- Authors: Jessop LJ, Murrin C, Lotya J, Clarke AT, O'Mahony D, Fallon UB, Johnson H, Bury G, Kelleher CC, Murphy AW, Lifeways Cohort Study Steering Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 31
- Determinants of partial or no primary immunisations.
- Authors: Jessop LJ, Kelleher CC, Murrin C, Lotya J, Clarke AT, O'Mahony D, Fallon UB, Johnson H, Bury G, Murphy AW, Lifeways Cohort Study Steering Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Parents' knowledge of and attitude towards the primary childhood immunisations.
- Authors: Deady J, Thornton L
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- How widely are personal child health records used and are they effective health education tools? A comparison of two records.
- Authors: Wright CM, Reynolds L
- Issue date: 2006 Jan