AffiliationSt. Michaels Hospital, Lower George's Street, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Bone Density Conservation Agents
MetadataShow full item record
CitationProposed new approach for treating Paget's disease of bone. 2011, 180 (1):121-4 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractPaget's disease of the bone (PDB) is a localized disorder of bone remodeling. Nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates (N-BPs) are the treatment of choice.
We aimed to determine the effectiveness of N-BPs in our practice.
We prospectively tabulated clinical, imaging and biochemical data as well as interventions.
All patients (n = 31) received one or more different N-BPs such as alendronate, risedronate, and zoledronic acid (ZA). Median (absolute range) serum total alkaline phosphatase (ALP) declined from 302 (55-1,600) to 69 (37-101) IU/L. In a subgroup of patients (n = 18) who received ZA after receiving an oral N-BP, median serum total ALP declined from 197 (44-1, 603) to 65 (37-95) IU/L.
Newly diagnosed patients with PDB should be treated for 6 months with oral N-BPs prior to administration of intravenous ZA. Repeat ZA infusions are necessary only if the serum total ALP levels rise above normal, or if symptoms or complications attributable to PDB persist.
- Clinical efficacy of oral risedronate therapy in Japanese patients with Paget's disease of bone.
- Authors: Ohara M, Imanishi Y, Nagata Y, Ishii A, Kobayashi I, Mori K, Ito M, Miki T, Nishizawa Y, Inaba M
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Long-term control of Paget's disease of bone with low-dose, once-weekly, oral bisphosphonate preparations, in a "real world" setting.
- Authors: Liel Y, Abu Tailakh M
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Long-term control of bone turnover in Paget's disease with zoledronic acid and risedronate.
- Authors: Hosking D, Lyles K, Brown JP, Fraser WD, Miller P, Curiel MD, Devogelaer JP, Hooper M, Su G, Zelenakas K, Pak J, Fashola T, Saidi Y, Eriksen EF, Reid IR
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Bisphosphonates for Paget's disease of bone in adults.
- Authors: Corral-Gudino L, Tan AJ, Del Pino-Montes J, Ralston SH
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 1
- Randomized trial of intensive bisphosphonate treatment versus symptomatic management in Paget's disease of bone.
- Authors: Langston AL, Campbell MK, Fraser WD, MacLennan GS, Selby PL, Ralston SH, PRISM Trial Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Jan