Correlation of intra-articular osseous measurements with posterior cruciate ligament length on MRI scans.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedics, Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown, Dublin, Republic of Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Posterior Cruciate Ligament
Reproducibility of Results
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCorrelation of intra-articular osseous measurements with posterior cruciate ligament length on MRI scans. 2010, 83 (985):23-7 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British journal of radiology
AbstractSix patients with a clinical diagnosis of chronic posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) rupture, based on a positive posterior drawer test, had a normal appearance of the PCL on an MRI scan. It is postulated that the PCL had been ruptured but healed in a lengthened state. 12 volunteers with no history of knee trauma underwent an MRI scan of the knee. In this control group (n = 12), there was a close correlation between the lateral femoral condylar width in the sagittal plane and the PCL length, with a ratio of 2:1 (95% confidence interval (CI) = 1.817-2.095). In the clinically abnormal group (n = 6), the ratio was 1.49:1 (95% CI = 1.206-1.782) (p< 0.0005). In conclusion, the ratio of the lateral femoral condylar width in the sagittal plane to the PCL length is a useful index for diagnosing PCL attenuation and lengthening in the presence of a normal morphological MR appearance.
- The accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging in diagnosing chronic posterior cruciate ligament injury.
- Authors: Servant CT, Ramos JP, Thomas NP
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- MR imaging of the posterior cruciate ligament: normal, abnormal, and associated injury patterns.
- Authors: Sonin AH, Fitzgerald SW, Hoff FL, Friedman H, Bresler ME
- Issue date: 1995 May
- Characterization of spontaneous healing of chronic posterior cruciate ligament injury: Analysis of instability and magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: Jung YB, Jung HJ, Yang JJ, Yang DL, Lee YS, Song IS, Lee HJ
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- The usefulness of the oblique coronal plane in knee MRI on the evaluation of the posterior cruciate ligament.
- Authors: Park HJ, Lee SY, Chung EC, Rho MH, Ahn JH, Kim MS, Park JY, Lee EJ
- Issue date: 2014 Oct