AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork, Ireland, email@example.com.
KeywordsMetastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMetastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma presenting as a breast lump. 2009: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: It is uncommon to encounter a breast metastasis from an extramammary malignancy and even rarer from a uterine leiomyosarcoma. AIMS: We describe the third case report in the medical literature of a breast metastasis from a uterine leiomyosarcoma. METHODS: We report the management of a 56-year-old patient who presented with a breast lump 3 years after hysterectomy for a fibroid uterus. We conducted a literature review of breast leiomyosarcomas. RESULTS: The excision of the breast mass revealed a low-grade leiomyosarcoma. Radiographic examinations demonstrated metastases to the lung, liver, pelvis and bone. Retrospective pathology review of her uterus identified a small focus of leiomyosarcoma. She received chemotherapy and palliative radiotherapy but passed away within few months. CONCLUSION: Metastasis to the breast from a non-breast primary is generally a sign of disseminated disease and; thus, a poor prognostic indicator.
CollectionsSouth Infirmary Victoria University Hospital
- Metastatic leiomyosarcoma presenting as bilateral, multifocal breast masses.
- Authors: Vasan N, Saglam O, Killelea BK
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 6
- Endobronchial metastases from a leiomyosarcoma of the uterus.
- Authors: Erkal HS, Oztürk AS, Kutluay L, Aydin D
- Issue date: 2008
- Uterine leiomyosarcoma metastasis to the breast.
- Authors: Hsiao HH, Liu YC, Hou MF, Lin SF
- Issue date: 2008
- Breast metastasis from uterine leiomyosarcoma: a case report.
- Authors: Lin CH, Yeh CN, Chen MF
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Uterine leiomyosarcoma metastasizing to the heart.
- Authors: Tunio MA, Al-Asiri M, Fareed MM
- Issue date: 2014 Mar