AffiliationDepartment of Respiratory Medicine, Naas General Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Kildare, Ireland. email@example.com
Drug Resistance, Bacterial
Microbial Sensitivity Tests
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHuman bovine tuberculosis - remains in the differential. 2010, 59 (Pt 11):1379-82 J. Med. Microbiol.
JournalJournal of medical microbiology
AbstractMycobacterium bovis is a pathogen of cattle. The unpasteurized milk of affected cattle is a source of infection in humans. Despite the screening of cattle and the pasteurization of milk, M bovis has not been eradicated. A high index of clinical suspicion is needed in symptomatic patients with a history of possible exposure. At risk groups include animal workers, farmers, meat packers, vets and zoo keepers. Humans are usually infected by the aerosol route. We present two cases of human bovine tuberculosis. One was a presumptive case and the second was a confirmed case. Both responded well to antituberculous therapy. In the confirmed case, there was evidence of transmission to the partner living in the same house. Rifampicin prophylaxis was given to the exposed case. The M. bovis from the confirmed case was isoniazid resistant, in addition to having the well known resistance to pyrazinamide. Isoniazid resistance has been described before in those who are immunocompromised. We describe it in an immunocompetent patient.
- Conventional and molecular determination of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium bovis isolates in cattle.
- Authors: Sweetline Anne N, Ronald BSM, Senthil Kumar TMA, Thangavelu A
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Detection of a streptomycin-resistant Mycobacterium bovis strain through antitubercular drug susceptibility testing of Tunisian Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolates from cattle.
- Authors: Djemal SE, Camperio C, Armas F, Siala M, Smaoui S, Messadi-Akrout F, Gdoura R, Marianelli C
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 29
- Evaluation of susceptibility of Mycobacterium bovis to antituberculous drugs by radiometric BACTEC 460TB system.
- Authors: Cavirani S, Fanti F, Benecchi M, Calderaro A, Taddei S, Arcangeletti C, Medici MC, Dettori G, Chezzi C
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- [Investigation of Mycobacterium bovis subsp. bovis among the strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolated in Düzce Province, Turkey].
- Authors: Öztürk CE, Şahin İ, Öksüz Ş, Kılıç N, Kılınçel Ö, Aydın L, Atik D, Afşin E
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Genotyping and rifampicin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium bovis strains isolated from the lymph nodes of slaughtered cattle.
- Authors: Franco MMJ, Ribeiro MG, Pavan FR, Miyata M, Heinemann MB, de Souza Filho AF, Cardoso RF, de Almeida AL, Sakate RI, Paes AC
- Issue date: 2017 May