Acute medical assessment units: an efficient alternative to in-hospital acute medical care.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick. email@example.com
MeSHEmergency Service, Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAcute medical assessment units: an efficient alternative to in-hospital acute medical care. 2011, 104 (2):47-9 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAcute Medical Assessment Units (AMAUs) are being proposed as an alternative to congested Emergency Departments (EDs for the assessment of patients with a range of acute medical problems. We retrospectively reviewed the discharge destination of patients referred to a newly established AMAU during a six-month period. During the same period we contrasted activity in the ED for a similar group of patients. 1,562 patients were assessed in the AMAU. 196 (12.5%) were admitted to an in-patient bed and 1,148 (73.5%) were entered into specific diagnosis-driven out-patient pathways. 1,465 patients attended the ED and 635 (43.3%) were admitted. Out-patient alternatives to expensive in-patient care need to be provided at the 'coal face" of acute referral. The AMAU provides this, and as a consequence admission rates are relatively low. This is achieved by directly communicating with GPs, accessing senior clinical decision makers, and providing immediate access to diagnostically driven outpatient pathways.
- Acute medical assessment units.
- Authors: UdDin M, Ramakrishnan S
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Impact of an acute medical admission unit on length of hospital stay, and emergency department 'wait times'.
- Authors: Moloney ED, Smith D, Bennett K, O'riordan D, Silke B
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Managing acute medical admissions: a survey of acute medical services and medical assessment and planning units in New Zealand.
- Authors: Providence C, Gommans J, Burns A
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Characteristics and Outcomes of Older Patients Attending an Acute Medical Assessment Unit.
- Authors: Fallon A, Armstrong J, Coughlan T, Collins DR, O'Neill D, Kennelly SP
- Issue date: 2015 Jul-Aug
- Does admission via an acute medical unit influence hospital mortality? 12 years' experience in a large Dublin hospital.
- Authors: Coary R, Byrne D, O'Riordan D, Conway R, Cournane S, Silke B
- Issue date: 2014