A Method for the Prediction of Late Organ-at-Risk Toxicity After Radiotherapy of the Prostate Using Equivalent Uniform Dose.
AffiliationClinical Trials Unit, St. Luke's Hospital, Rathgar, Dublin Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA Method for the Prediction of Late Organ-at-Risk Toxicity After Radiotherapy of the Prostate Using Equivalent Uniform Dose. 2011, 80 (2):608-13 Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.
JournalInternational journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics
AbstractTo evaluate the predictive value of equivalent uniform doses (EUD) for late bladder and rectal toxicity after high-dose three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT) to the prostate.
Using the method developed by Kutcher et al., EUDs for whole bladder and rectum were calculated from the dose-volume histograms of 180 patients with localized prostate cancer treated to 70-74 Gy with 3D-CRT. Late complications were recorded using the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group scale, correlated against EUD and known physical predictive indicators.
EUD is an independent prognostic factor for Grade 2+ long-term rectal and bladder toxicity after radiation treatment to the prostate. Patients receiving an EUD >63.1 Gy to the rectum have a statistically significant (10% vs. 30%; p = 0.002) higher risk of developing Grade 2+ late complications. Patients receiving an EUD >53.4 Gy to the bladder have a statistically significant (10% vs. 33%; p = 0.001) higher risk of developing Grade 2+ late complications.
It has been demonstrated that EUD is a strong independent predictive factor for Grade 2+ late complications after 3D-CRT to the prostate. Threshold values have been demonstrated for both bladder and rectum, above which there is a clinically significant increased risk of complications.
- Correlation between acute and late toxicity in 973 prostate cancer patients treated with three-dimensional conformal external beam radiotherapy.
- Authors: Jereczek-Fossa BA, Zerini D, Fodor C, Santoro L, Serafini F, Cambria R, Vavassori A, Cattani F, Garibaldi C, Gherardi F, Ferrari A, Rocco B, Scardino E, de Cobelli O, Orecchia R
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 1
- Incidence of late rectal and urinary toxicities after three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Zelefsky MJ, Levin EJ, Hunt M, Yamada Y, Shippy AM, Jackson A, Amols HI
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 15
- [High dose for prostate irradiation with image guided radiotherapy: contribution of intensity modulation arctherapy].
- Authors: Jouyaux F, De Crevoisier R, Manens JP, Bellec J, Cazoulat G, Haigron P, Chira C, Le Prisé E, Lafond C
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Phase II dose escalation study of image-guided adaptive radiotherapy for prostate cancer: use of dose-volume constraints to achieve rectal isotoxicity.
- Authors: Vargas C, Yan D, Kestin LL, Krauss D, Lockman DM, Brabbins DS, Martinez AA
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 1
- Short-course, intensity-modulated radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Kupelian PA, Willoughby TR
- Issue date: 2001 Sep-Oct