Changing trends in peripartum hysterectomy over the last 4 decades.
AuthorsFlood, Karen M
Malone, Fergal D
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Rotunda Hospital, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland.
Obstetric Labor Complications
MetadataShow full item record
CitationChanging trends in peripartum hysterectomy over the last 4 decades. 2009, 200 (6):632.e1-6 Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol.
JournalAmerican journal of obstetrics and gynecology
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to identify changing trends in peripartum hysterectomy (PH) in a single large obstetric population over the last 40 years.
A retrospective cohort study was performed from 1966-2005 of patients who had PH in any of the 3 Dublin obstetric hospitals. Cases were identified, and details were obtained from the combined patient databases of each hospital.
There were 872,379 deliveries during the study period, among which 358 women underwent PH (0.4/1000 deliveries). In a comparison of the study decades 1966-1975 with 1996-2005, PH decreased from 0.9 per 1000 deliveries to 0.2 of 1000 deliveries. Although the overall cesarean delivery rate has increased from 6-19% during these 2 decades, the percentage of PH that occurs in the setting of a previous cesarean delivery has increased from 27-57% (P < .00001). Indications for PH have changed significantly in this time period, with "uterine rupture" as the indication for PH decreasing from 40.5-9.3% (P < .0001) and placenta accreta as the indication increasing significantly from 5.4-46.5% (P < .00001).
PH has decreased over the last 4 decades. However, alongside the rising cesarean delivery rate, there has been a marked increase in the incidence of placenta accreta.
- Peripartum hysterectomy and associated factors.
- Authors: Bai SW, Lee HJ, Cho JS, Park YW, Kim SK, Park KH
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Emergency peripartum hysterectomy: a comparison of cesarean and postpartum hysterectomy.
- Authors: Forna F, Miles AM, Jamieson DJ
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Emergency hysterectomy in modern obstetric practice. Changing clinical perspective in time.
- Authors: Zorlu CG, Turan C, Işik AZ, Danişman N, Mungan T, Gökmen O
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Identifying risk factors for peripartum cesarean hysterectomy. A population-based study.
- Authors: Sheiner E, Levy A, Katz M, Mazor M
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Indication of emergency peripartum hysterectomy: review of 17 cases.
- Authors: Yamani Zamzami TY
- Issue date: 2003 Aug