Postirradiation lumbosacral radiculopathy following seminoma treatment presenting as flaccid neuropathic bladder: a case report
CitationJournal of Medical Case Reports. 2011 Apr 14;5(1):148
AbstractAbstract Introduction Postirradiation lumbosacral syndrome is a radiculopathy induced by radiation injury to the spinal cord. Its usual presentation is motor deficit and or sensory loss involving the lower limbs. Visceral involvement has not been reported previously. Case presentation We describe a case of severe hypotonic bladder caused by radiation-induced spinal cord injury following treatment of stage Ι testicular seminoma in a 38-year-old Caucasian man who had undergone radical orchidectomy and prophylactic paraaortic lymph node irradiation for stage Ι seminoma. Three years later he had clinical and urodynamic findings of hypotonic bladder. The magnetic resonance imaging results suggested a radiation-induced injury. Conclusion Such an unusual presentation of the syndrome of postirradiation lumbosacral radiculopathy can impose a clinical challenge to practicing clinicians. Future studies are required to further delineate the mechanism of injury and further management plans.
Item TypeJournal Article
- [A case of post-irradiation lumbosacral radiculopathy successfully treated with corticosteroid and warfarin].
- Authors: Anezaki T, Harada T, Kawachi I, Sanpei K, Soma Y, Tsuji S
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- A rare case of paraplegia complicating a lumbar epidural infiltration.
- Authors: Thefenne L, Dubecq C, Zing E, Rogez D, Soula M, Escobar E, Defuentes G, Lapeyre E, Berets O
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Inguinal lymph node metastases from a testicular seminoma: a case report and a review of the literature.
- Authors: Ismail M, Zaman F, Baithun S, Nargund V, Pati J, Masood J
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 25
- [A case of cervical radiation radiculopathy resembling motor neuron disease].
- Authors: Mitsunaga Y, Yoshimura T, Hara H, Yamada T, Kira J, Kobayashi T
- Issue date: 1998 May
- [Gadolinium enhancement of the anterior portion of the lumbosacral roots in a case of post-irradiation lumbosacral radiculopathy].
- Authors: Umeda M, Naruse S, Ito A, Fujita N
- Issue date: 2005 Oct