AP diameter shows the strongest correlation with CTDI and DLP in abdominal and chest CT.
AffiliationRadiography, Institute of Health Care, University of Malta, Malta. firstname.lastname@example.org
Statistics as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAP diameter shows the strongest correlation with CTDI and DLP in abdominal and chest CT. 2010, 140 (3):266-73 Radiat Prot Dosimetry
JournalRadiation protection dosimetry
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to investigate the relationships among cross-sectional diameters, weight and computed tomography (CT) dose descriptors (CTDI and DLP) to identify which is best used as a measure for the establishment of DRLs in CT. Data (gender, weight, cross-sectional diameters, dose descriptors) from 56 adult patients attending for either a CT examination of the abdomen or chest was obtained from two spiral CT units using automatic milliampere modulation. The AP diameter was demonstrated as the main contributing factor influencing the dose in CT (CTDI: r(2) = 0.269, p-value < or =0.001; DLP: r(2) = 0.260, p-value < or =0.001) since it has a greater correlation with radiation dose than body weight and can thus be its substitute in dose-reduction strategies and establishment of DRLs. The advantages of using the AP diameter are that it can easily be measured prior to scanning or retrospectively from previous CT images. However, further studies on the practicality of this approach are recommended.
- Radiation exposure in body computed tomography examinations of trauma patients.
- Authors: Kortesniemi M, Kiljunen T, Kangasmäki A
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 21
- Towards establishment of the national reference dose levels from computed tomography examinations in Tanzania.
- Authors: Ngaile JE, Msaki P, Kazema R
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Multidetector computed tomography chest examinations with low-kilovoltage protocols in adults: effect on image quality and radiation dose.
- Authors: Kim MJ, Park CH, Choi SJ, Hwang KH, Kim HS
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- Evaluation of a radiation dose reduction strategy for pediatric chest CT.
- Authors: Kim JE, Newman B
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Patient size and x-ray transmission in body CT.
- Authors: Ogden K, Huda W, Scalzetti EM, Roskopf ML
- Issue date: 2004 Apr