Developing an electronic health record (EHR) for methadone treatment recording and decision support.
AffiliationHRB Centre for Primary Care Research, Department of General Practice, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
MeSHDecision Support Techniques
Drug Therapy, Computer-Assisted
Electronic Health Records
Episode of Care
Medical Record Linkage
Practice Guidelines as Topic
Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDeveloping an electronic health record (EHR) for methadone treatment recording and decision support. 2011, 11:5 BMC Med Inform Decis Mak
JournalBMC medical informatics and decision making
AbstractIn this paper, we give an overview of methadone treatment in Ireland and outline the rationale for designing an electronic health record (EHR) with extensibility, interoperability and decision support functionality. Incorporating several international standards, a conceptual model applying a problem orientated approach in a hierarchical structure has been proposed for building the EHR.
A set of archetypes has been designed in line with the current best practice and clinical guidelines which guide the information-gathering process. A web-based data entry system has been implemented, incorporating elements of the paper-based prescription form, while at the same time facilitating the decision support function.
The use of archetypes was found to capture the ever changing requirements in the healthcare domain and externalises them in constrained data structures. The solution is extensible enabling the EHR to cover medicine management in general as per the programme of the HRB Centre for Primary Care Research.
The data collected via this Irish system can be aggregated into a larger dataset, if necessary, for analysis and evidence-gathering, since we adopted the openEHR standard. It will be later extended to include the functionalities of prescribing drugs other than methadone along with the research agenda at the HRB Centre for Primary Care Research in Ireland.
- Role of OpenEHR as an open source solution for the regional modelling of patient data in obstetrics.
- Authors: Pahl C, Zare M, Nilashi M, de Faria Borges MA, Weingaertner D, Detschew V, Supriyanto E, Ibrahim O
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- ResearchEHR: use of semantic web technologies and archetypes for the description of EHRs.
- Authors: Robles M, Fernández-Breis JT, Maldonado JA, Moner D, Martínez-Costa C, Bosca D, Menárguez-Tortosa M
- Issue date: 2010
- Integration of Hospital Information and Clinical Decision Support Systems to Enable the Reuse of Electronic Health Record Data.
- Authors: Kopanitsa G
- Issue date: 2017 May 18
- Modeling healthcare authorization and claim submissions using the openEHR dual-model approach.
- Authors: Dias RD, Cook TW, Freire SM
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 12
- Interoperability of clinical decision-support systems and electronic health records using archetypes: a case study in clinical trial eligibility.
- Authors: Marcos M, Maldonado JA, Martínez-Salvador B, Boscá D, Robles M
- Issue date: 2013 Aug