First reported cases of human adenovirus serotype 14p1 infection, Ireland, October 2009 to July 2010.
AffiliationHealth Protection Surveillance Centre, Dublin, Ireland.
MeSHAdenovirus Infections, Human
Fluorescent Antibody Technique
Polymerase Chain Reaction
Sequence Analysis, DNA
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFirst reported cases of human adenovirus serotype 14p1 infection, Ireland, October 2009 to July 2010. 2011, 16 (8) Euro Surveill.
JournalEuro surveillance : bulletin européen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
AbstractWe report the first nine confirmed cases of human adenovirus 14p1 infection (HAdV-14p1), identified at different locations in Ireland between October 2009 and July 2010. These were the first notifications in Ireland and all were sporadic cases. Following these notifications, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre set up an enhanced surveillance system for HAdV-14p1 infection. Seven cases were male and five were aged less than one year. Three patients died, giving a case fatality rate of 33%. It should be noted that cases presented here were diagnosed on presentation to hospital and may represent the severe end of the spectrum of HAdV 14 disease in Ireland.
- Deaths associated with human adenovirus-14p1 infections, Europe, 2009-2010.
- Authors: Carr MJ, Kajon AE, Lu X, Dunford L, O'Reilly P, Holder P, De Gascun CF, Coughlan S, Connell J, Erdman DD, Hall WW
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Adenovirus serotype 7 associated with a severe lower respiratory tract disease outbreak in infants in Shaanxi Province, China.
- Authors: Tang L, Wang L, Tan X, Xu W
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 18
- Adenovirus serotype 14 infection, New Brunswick, Canada, 2011.
- Authors: Girouard G, Garceau R, Thibault L, Oussedik Y, Bastien N, Li Y
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Molecular epidemiology and brief history of emerging adenovirus 14-associated respiratory disease in the United States.
- Authors: Kajon AE, Lu X, Erdman DD, Louie J, Schnurr D, George KS, Koopmans MP, Allibhai T, Metzgar D
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 1
- Molecular characterization of human adenoviruses isolated in Italy.
- Authors: La Rosa G, Muscillo M, Iaconelli M, Di Grazia A, Fontana S, Sali M, De Carolis E, Cattani P, Manzara S, Fadda G
- Issue date: 2006 Jul