Angiogenin levels and ANG genotypes: dysregulation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
AuthorsMcLaughlin, Russell Lewis
Lynch, David S
Andersen, Peter M
Bradley, Daniel G
AffiliationSmurfit Institute of Genetics, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Genetic Predisposition to Disease
Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAngiogenin levels and ANG genotypes: dysregulation in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 2010, 5 (11):e15402 PLoS ONE
AbstractTo determine whether 5 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) associate with ALS in 3 different populations. We also assessed the contribution of genotype to angiogenin levels in plasma and CSF.
Allelic association statistics were calculated for polymorphisms in the ANG gene in 859 patients and 1047 controls from Sweden, Ireland and Poland. Plasma, serum and CSF angiogenin levels were quantified and stratified according to genotypes across the ANG gene. The contribution of SNP genotypes to variance in circulating angiogenin levels was estimated in patients and controls.
All SNPs showed association with ALS in the Irish group. The SNP rs17114699 replicated in the Swedish cohort. No SNP associated in the Polish cohort. Age- and sex-corrected circulating angiogenin levels were significantly lower in patients than in controls (p<0.001). An allele dose-dependent regulation of angiogenin levels was observed in controls. This regulation was attenuated in the ALS cohort. A significant positive correlation between CSF plasma angiogenin levels was present in controls and abolished in ALS.
ANG variants associate with ALS in the Irish and Swedish populations, but not in the Polish. There is evidence of dysregulation of angiogenin expression in plasma and CSF in sporadic ALS. Angiogenin expression is likely to be important in the pathogenesis of ALS.
- A novel Angiogenin gene mutation in a sporadic patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis from southern Italy.
- Authors: Conforti FL, Sprovieri T, Mazzei R, Ungaro C, La Bella V, Tessitore A, Patitucci A, Magariello A, Gabriele AL, Tedeschi G, Simone IL, Majorana G, Valentino P, Condino F, Bono F, Monsurrò MR, Muglia M, Quattrone A
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Mutations of the ANG gene in French patients with sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Authors: Paubel A, Violette J, Amy M, Praline J, Meininger V, Camu W, Corcia P, Andres CR, Vourc'h P, French Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Study Group
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- CSF angiogenin levels in amyotrophic lateral Sclerosis-Frontotemporal dementia spectrum.
- Authors: Morelli C, Tiloca C, Colombrita C, Zambon A, Soranna D, Lafronza A, Solca F, Carelli L, Poletti B, Doretti A, Verde F, Maderna L, Ticozzi N, Ratti A, Silani V
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Identification of a novel missense mutation in angiogenin in a Chinese amyotrophic lateral sclerosis cohort.
- Authors: Zou ZY, Wang XN, Liu MS, Sun Q, Li XG, Cui LY, Kong J
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Association between the Angiogenin (ANG) K17I variant and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis risk in Caucasian: a meta-analysis.
- Authors: Pan L, Deng X, Ding D, Leng H, Zhu X, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2015 Dec