Malone, Fergal D
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland.
Collagen Type I
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Platelet Function Tests
Pregnancy Trimester, First
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPlatelet reactivity and pregnancy loss. 2010, 203 (3):281.e1-5 Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol.
JournalAmerican journal of obstetrics and gynecology
AbstractWe sought to critically evaluate platelet function in recurrent miscarriage (RM).
We conducted a prospective study comparing 30 patients with unexplained recurrent first-trimester pregnancy loss with 30 control subjects matched for age and serum progesterone level. Platelet function was determined using a modified assay of light transmission aggregometry with multiple agonists at different concentrations. Dose-response curves were created and half-maximal effective concentration values were calculated.
At test completion the half-maximal effective concentration values for arachidonic acid in the patients with RM were significantly less than in the control subjects (0.153 vs 0.230; P = .0099). The dose-response curves were tightly matched for the other agonists.
This novel measurement of platelet function has demonstrated that patients with unexplained RM have significantly increased platelet aggregation in response to arachidonic acid. The enhanced response to this agonist provides an empirical rationale for the use of aspirin in management of this clinical condition.
- Platelet function in patients with a history of unexplained recurrent miscarriage who subsequently miscarry again.
- Authors: Dempsey MA, Flood K, Burke N, Murray A, Cotter B, Mullers S, Dicker P, Fletcher P, Geary M, Kenny D, Malone FD
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Aspirin non-responsiveness in Korean subjects on dual anti-platelet treatment determined by two different platelet function assays.
- Authors: Lee YW, Cho YH, Kim YH, Na JS, Shin HB, Ki CS, Choi TY, Lee YK
- Issue date: 2008 Spring
- Testing agonist-induced platelet aggregation by the Impact-R [Cone and plate(let) analyzer (CPA)].
- Authors: Shenkman B, Einav Y, Salomon O, Varon D, Savion N
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Effects of aspirin and clopidogrel in healthy men measured by platelet aggregation and PFA-100.
- Authors: Madsen EH, Schmidt EB, Maurer-Spurej E, Kristensen SR
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Evaluation of dose-related effects of aspirin on platelet function: results from the Aspirin-Induced Platelet Effect (ASPECT) study.
- Authors: Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, DiChiara J, Newcomer J, Weng W, Neerchal NK, Gesheff T, Chaganti SK, Etherington A, Tantry US
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 26