Structural MRI correlates for vulnerability and resilience to major depressive disorder.
AffiliationDiscipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine and Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Integrated Neuroimaging, Trinity Academic Medical Centre (The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, incorporating the National Children's Hospital and St. James's Hospital), Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
Depressive Disorder, Major
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Nerve Fibers, Myelinated
Nerve Fibers, Unmyelinated
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStructural MRI correlates for vulnerability and resilience to major depressive disorder. 2011, 36 (1):15-22 J Psychiatry Neurosci
JournalJournal of psychiatry & neuroscience : JPN
AbstractVolume reductions in the hippocampus and DLPFC might be associated with a greater risk for MDD. The HC-FHP group had smaller hippocampal volumes compared with patients with MDD, which is suggestive for neuroplastic effects of treatment. The HC-FHP group had not yet experienced a depressive episode and therefore might have been resilient and might have had some protective strategies. Whether resilience is associated with the larger white matter volumes in the DMPFC (e.g., owing to compensatory, neuroplastic remodelling mechanisms) needs to be confirmed in future studies.
- Disorder-specific volumetric brain difference in adolescent major depressive disorder and bipolar depression.
- Authors: MacMaster FP, Carrey N, Langevin LM, Jaworska N, Crawford S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Early life adversity is associated with brain changes in subjects at family risk for depression.
- Authors: Carballedo A, Lisiecka D, Fagan A, Saleh K, Ferguson Y, Connolly G, Meaney J, Frodl T
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Prefrontal cortical GABA abnormalities are associated with reduced hippocampal volume in major depressive disorder.
- Authors: Abdallah CG, Jackowski A, Sato JR, Mao X, Kang G, Cheema R, Coplan JD, Mathew SJ, Shungu DC
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Regional brain volume in depression and anxiety disorders.
- Authors: van Tol MJ, van der Wee NJ, van den Heuvel OA, Nielen MM, Demenescu LR, Aleman A, Renken R, van Buchem MA, Zitman FG, Veltman DJ
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Interaction of childhood stress with hippocampus and prefrontal cortex volume reduction in major depression.
- Authors: Frodl T, Reinhold E, Koutsouleris N, Reiser M, Meisenzahl EM
- Issue date: 2010 Oct