Examining evidence for neighbourhood variation in the duration of untreated psychosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK. email@example.com;St. Patrick's University Hospital Dublin
Mental Health Services
MetadataShow full item record
CitationExamining evidence for neighbourhood variation in the duration of untreated psychosis. 2010, 16 (2):219-25 Health Place
JournalHealth & place
AbstractFamily involvement in help-seeking is associated with a shorter duration of untreated psychoses [DUP], but it is unknown whether neighbourhood-level factors are also important.
DUP was estimated for all cases of first-episode psychoses identified over 2 years in 33 Southeast London neighbourhoods (n = 329). DUP was positively skewed and transformed to the natural logarithm scale. We fitted various hierarchical models, adopting different assumptions with regard to spatial variability of DUP, to assess whether there was evidence of neighbourhood heterogeneity in DUP, having accounted for a priori individual-level confounders.
Neighbourhood-level variation in DUP was negligible compared to overall variability. A non-hierarchical model with age, sex and ethnicity covariates, but without area-level random effects, provided the best fit to the data.
Neighbourhood factors do not appear to be associated with DUP, suggesting its predictors lie at individual and family levels. Our results inform mental healthcare planning, suggesting that in one urbanised area of Southeast London, where you live does not affect duration of untreated psychosis.
- Socioeconomic inequalities in duration of untreated psychosis: evidence from administrative data in England.
- Authors: Reichert A, Jacobs R
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Clinical and social determinants of duration of untreated psychosis in the AESOP first-episode psychosis study.
- Authors: Morgan C, Abdul-Al R, Lappin JM, Jones P, Fearon P, Leese M, Croudace T, Morgan K, Dazzan P, Craig T, Leff J, Murray R, AESOP Study Group
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Neighbourhood characteristics and the incidence of first-episode psychosis and duration of untreated psychosis.
- Authors: O'Donoghue B, Lyne JP, Renwick L, Lane A, Madigan K, Staines A, O'Callaghan E, Clarke M
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Family context and duration of untreated psychosis (DUP): results from the Sao Paulo Study.
- Authors: Oliveira AM, Menezes PR, Busatto GF, McGuire PK, Murray RM, Scazufca M
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Ethnic variations in duration of untreated psychosis: report from the CRIS-FEP study.
- Authors: Oduola S, Craig TKJ, Morgan C
- Issue date: 2021 Jun