The role of ethnicity in clinical psychopathology and care pathways of adults with intellectual disabilities.
AffiliationEstia Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, 66 Snowsfields, London SE1 3SS, UK. email@example.com
African Continental Ancestry Group
Child Development Disorders, Pervasive
European Continental Ancestry Group
Primary Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe role of ethnicity in clinical psychopathology and care pathways of adults with intellectual disabilities., 31 (2):410-5 Res Dev Disabil
JournalResearch in developmental disabilities
AbstractThe objective of this study was to explore whether people with intellectual disability from ethnic minority groups have higher rates of mental health problems and access different care pathways than their White counterparts. Clinical and socio-demographic data were collected for 806 consecutive new referrals to a specialist mental health service for people with intellectual disabilities in South London. Referrals were grouped according to their ethnic origin. The analyses showed that there was an over-representation of referrals from ethnic minority groups with diagnoses of schizophrenia spectrum disorder. In addition, Black participants were more likely to have an autistic spectrum disorder. Referrals of ethnic minority groups were considerably younger than White referrals, and less likely to be in supported residences. The results are discussed in the context of cultural and familial factors in particular ethnic groups that may play an important role in accessing and using mental health services.
- Ethnic variation in service utilisation among children with intellectual disability.
- Authors: Durà-Vilà G, Hodes M
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Psychological Therapy in Secondary Mental Health Care: Access and Outcomes by Ethnic Group.
- Authors: Mercer L, Evans LJ, Turton R, Beck A
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Mental ill-health and care pathways in adults with intellectual disability across different residential types.
- Authors: Chaplin E, Paschos D, O'Hara J, McCarthy J, Holt G, Bouras N, Tsakanikos E
- Issue date: 2010 Mar-Apr
- Inequalities in referral pathways for young people accessing secondary mental health services in south east London.
- Authors: Chui Z, Gazard B, MacCrimmon S, Harwood H, Downs J, Bakolis I, Polling C, Rhead R, Hatch SL
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Experiences of mental health services by people with intellectual disabilities from different ethnic groups: a Delphi consultation.
- Authors: Bonell S, Underwood L, Radhakrishnan V, McCarthy J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep