Length of stay of general psychiatric inpatients in the United States: systematic review.
AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, De Crespigny Park, London, SE5 8AF, UK, email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLength of stay of general psychiatric inpatients in the United States: systematic review. 2011, 38 (3):155-68 Adm Policy Ment Health
JournalAdministration and policy in mental health
AbstractPsychiatric length of stay (LOS) has reduced but is still longer than for physical disorders. Inpatient costs are 16% of total mental health spending. Regression analyses of the determinants of LOS for US adult psychiatric inpatients were systematically reviewed. Most studies predated recent LOS reductions. Psychosis, female gender and larger hospital size were associated with longer LOS, while discharge against medical advice, prospective payment, being married, being detained and either younger or middle age were associated with shorter LOS. Associations appeared consistent, especially where sample size was above 3,000. Updated studies should be adequately powered and include the variables above.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Faith-Based Hospitals and Variation in Psychiatric Inpatient Length of Stay in California, 2002-2011.
- Authors: Banta JE, McKinney O
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Medical Resource Utilization by Taiwanese Psychiatric Inpatients under the National Health Insurance System.
- Authors: Lee CB, Li CY, Lin CM
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Patient Characteristics, Length of Stay, and Functional Improvement for Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders: A Population Study of Inpatient Care in Ontario 2005 to 2015.
- Authors: Chen S, Collins A, Anderson K, McKenzie K, Kidd S
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Does psychopathology at admission predict the length of inpatient stay in psychiatry? Implications for financing psychiatric services.
- Authors: Warnke I, Rössler W, Herwig U
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 29
- The influence of institutional characteristics on length of stay for psychiatric patients: a national database study in South Korea.
- Authors: Chung W, Cho WH, Yoon CW
- Issue date: 2009 Mar