Mitochondrial cytopathies, phenotypic heterogeneity and a high incidence.
AffiliationNational Centre for Inherited Metabolic Disorders, The Children's University Hospital, Temple St, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMitochondrial cytopathies, phenotypic heterogeneity and a high incidence. 2006, 99 (9):262-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractMitochondrial respiratory chain disorders account for significant and varied presentations in paediatric practice. The true prevalence of these disorders in the paediatric population is still not well documented with predicted geographic variation. We report a retrospective analysis over a seven year period of cases presenting to a tertiary care centre and associated clinical features. The overall prevalence of mitochondrial disorders in our population is higher than expected (1/9,000 births), explained in part by multiple presentations in a consanguineous subgroup of the population (Irish travellers).
SponsorsReproduced with permission from the Irish Medical Journal
- Epidemiology of pediatric mitochondrial respiratory chain disorders in northwest Spain.
- Authors: Castro-Gago M, Blanco-Barca MO, Campos-González Y, Arenas-Barbero J, Pintos-Martínez E, Eirís-Puñal J
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Pediatric mitochondrial respiratory chain disorders in the Centro region of Portugal.
- Authors: Diogo L, Grazina M, Garcia P, Rebelo O, Veiga MA, Cuevas J, Vilarinho L, de Almeida IT, Oliveira CR
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Otolaryngologic manifestations of mitochondrial cytopathies.
- Authors: Jeyakumar A, Williamson ME, Brickman TM, Krakovitz P, Parikh S
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- Mitochondrial diseases: a nosological update.
- Authors: Filosto M, Mancuso M
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- [Clinical variability and diagnosis steps in childhood mitochondrial disease].
- Authors: Mercier S, Josselin de Wasch M, Labarthe F, Jardel C, Lombès A, Munnich A, Toutain A, Nivet H, Saliba E, Chantepie A, Castelnau P
- Issue date: 2009 Apr