Ischaemic stroke in children secondary to post varicella angiopathy.
AffiliationThe Childrens University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin.
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIschaemic stroke in children secondary to post varicella angiopathy. 2007, 100 (1):332-3 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractVaricella in childhood is a self-limiting disease, which usually follows a benign course. However, complications, although rare, may have serious consequences. Ischaemic stroke secondary to post varicella angiopathy is a well-described complication and is estimated to account for up to a third of all strokes in infants. We present three previously healthy children who presented to our centre with ischaemic cerebrovascular infarction due to varicella angiopathy. All three children first presented within six weeks after onset of varicella infection and had MRI changes characteristic of ischaemic stroke secondary to post varicella angiopathy. While one child made an excellent recovery being left with only a minor deficit, the remaining two children were left with considerable morbidity severely affecting quality of life. The varicella vaccine has been proven to be well tolerated, safe and effective. We conclude that varicella vaccination should be considered for inclusion in the vaccination schedule to prevent serious complications which while rare may have devastating consequences.
SponsorsReproduced with permission from the Irish Medical Journal
- [Ischemic stroke secondary to post varicella angiopathy in a 3 year old male].
- Authors: Gómez-Gosálvez FA, Menor-Serrano F, Escrivá-Tomás P, Clemente-Yago F, Sala-Sánchez AG, Rubio-Soriano A, Pérez-Rueda C, Carbonell-Nadal J
- Issue date: 2003 May 16-31
- Early and late onset manifestations of cerebral vasculitis related to varicella zoster.
- Authors: Häusler MG, Ramaekers VT, Reul J, Meilicke R, Heimann G
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Morbidity and cost of vaccine-preventable varicella in previously healthy children in Arkansas.
- Authors: Markham MH, Darville T
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Experience of varicella vaccination in acute lymphoplastic leukaemia.
- Authors: Lou J, Tan AM, Tan CK
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- [Varicella in Icelandic children--epidemiology and complications].
- Authors: Thórarinsdóttir H, Löve A, Laxdal T, Gudnason T, Haraldsson A
- Issue date: 2009 Feb