Tracheal intubation by inexperienced medical residents using the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes--a manikin study.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital Galway, Ireland.
Internship and Residency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTracheal intubation by inexperienced medical residents using the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes--a manikin study. 2006, 24 (7):769-74 Am J Emerg Med
JournalThe American journal of emergency medicine
AbstractThe Airtraq laryngoscope is a novel intubation device that may possess advantages over conventional direct laryngoscopes for use by personnel that are infrequently required to perform tracheal intubation. We conducted a prospective study in 20 medical residents with little prior airway management experience. After brief didactic instruction, each participant took turns performing laryngoscopy and intubation using the Macintosh (Welch Allyn, Welch Allyn, NY) and Airtraq (Prodol Ltd. Vizcaya, Spain) devices, in 3 laryngoscopy scenarios in a Laerdal Intubation Trainer (Laerdal, Stavanger, Norway) and 1 scenario in a Laerdal SimMan manikin (Laerdal, Kent, UK). They then performed tracheal intubation of the normal airway a second time to characterize the learning curve. In all scenarios tested, the Airtraq decreased the duration of intubation attempts, reduced the number of optimization maneuvers required, and reduced the potential for dental trauma. The residents found the Airtraq easier to use in all scenarios compared with the Macintosh laryngoscope. The Airtraq may constitute a superior device for use by personnel infrequently required to perform tracheal intubation.
- Learning and performance of tracheal intubation by novice personnel: a comparison of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscope.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Costello JF, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Comparison of the Airtraq and Truview laryngoscopes to the Macintosh laryngoscope for use by Advanced Paramedics in easy and simulated difficult intubation in manikins.
- Authors: Nasim S, Maharaj CH, Butt I, Malik MA, O' Donnell J, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 13
- A comparison of the Glidescope, Pentax AWS, and Macintosh laryngoscopes when used by novice personnel: a manikin study.
- Authors: Malik MA, Hassett P, Carney J, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Tracheal intubation of a difficult airway using Airway Scope, Airtraq, and Macintosh laryngoscope: a comparative manikin study of inexperienced personnel.
- Authors: Liu L, Tanigawa K, Kusunoki S, Tamura T, Ota K, Yamaga S, Kida Y, Otani T, Sadamori T, Takeda T, Iwasaki Y, Hirohashi N
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 1
- Evaluation of intubation using the Airtraq or Macintosh laryngoscope by anaesthetists in easy and simulated difficult laryngoscopy--a manikin study.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 May