AffiliationUniversity College Dublin School of Medicine, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUtilization of resource leveling to optimize ERCP efficiency. 2011, 180 (1):143-8 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractOptimizing endoscopy efficiency is becoming increasingly important. This study profiled ERCP availability and assessed resource leveling as a strategy to enhance efficiency.
All ERCPs performed at an academic teaching hospital between January 2007 and December 2008 were reviewed. Procedure timeliness (time between admission and ERCP) and demand were analyzed to assess resource utilization.
Data were recorded for 393 ERCPs. Profiling identified an unequal distribution of waiting times from admission to procedure due to restricted ERCP availability. Use of resource leveling methodology demonstrated that a small increase in procedure availability (one additional half day per week) would significantly reduce the hospital stay of ERCP patients.
Resource leveling can be applied to balance procedure provision with demand to cope with fluctuations in demand. The impact of resource leveling can be truly measured only by implementing these changes and prospectively studying the effect.
- A Statistically Significant Reduction in Length of Stay and Hospital Costs with Equivalent Quality of Care Metrics for ERCPs Performed During the Weekend Versus Postponed to Weekdays: A 6-Year Study of 533 ERCPs at Four Teaching Hospitals.
- Authors: Hakim S, Aneese AM, Edhi A, Shams C, Purohit T, Cannon ME, Cappell MS
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Relationship among hospital ERCP volume, length of stay, and technical outcomes.
- Authors: Varadarajulu S, Kilgore ML, Wilcox CM, Eloubeidi MA
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in general surgery: how much are we outsourcing?
- Authors: Jones WB, Roettger RH, Cobb WS, Carbonell AM
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Association between volume of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography at an academic medical center and use of pancreatobiliary therapy.
- Authors: Coté GA, Singh S, Bucksot LG, Lazzell-Pannell L, Schmidt SE, Fogel E, McHenry L, Watkins J, Lehman G, Sherman S
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Trends in the utilization of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in the United States.
- Authors: Mazen Jamal M, Yoon EJ, Saadi A, Sy TY, Hashemzadeh M
- Issue date: 2007 May