Assessment of colorectal cancer knowledge and patient attitudes towards screening: is Ireland ready to embrace colon cancer screening?
AuthorsHarewood, G C
Leong, W L
Lim, Y T
Yeen, K F
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, Beaumont Hospital Dublin, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Patient Acceptance of Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAssessment of colorectal cancer knowledge and patient attitudes towards screening: is Ireland ready to embrace colon cancer screening? 2009, 178 (1):7-12 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractThe level of awareness among the Irish public regarding colorectal cancer (CRC) remains uncertain. This study aimed to characterise CRC knowledge levels among a cohort of Irish patients.
A survey evaluating CRC knowledge levels was distributed among outpatients at a gastroenterology clinic in a Dublin teaching hospital.
In total, 472 surveys were distributed of which 465 (98.5%) were returned. Twenty-nine percent of respondents correctly judged CRC to be the commonest cause of cancer death among the options provided while 26% correctly judged the lifetime risk of CRC; 59% underestimated and 15% overestimated the risk. Most patients (91%) were willing to pay 300 euros for a prompt colonoscopy if recommended by their physician while 7% opted to wait 6 months for a free colonoscopy.
There is a willingness to embrace CRC screening and to shoulder some of the financial burden that this entails.
- Assessment of Jordanian Patient's Colorectal Cancer Awareness and Preferences towards CRC Screening: Are Jordanians Ready to Embrace CRC Screening?
- Authors: Omran S, Barakat H, Muliira JK, Bashaireh I, Batiha AM
- Issue date: 2015
- Assessing awareness of colorectal cancer symptoms and screening in a peripheral colorectal surgical unit: a survey based study.
- Authors: McVeigh TP, Lowery AJ, Waldron RM, Mahmood A, Barry K
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 22
- Attitudes toward and Knowledge of Colorectal Cancer Screening among an Omani Adult Population Attending a Teaching Hospital.
- Authors: Al-Azri M, Al-Khatri S, Murthi Panchatcharam S
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1
- The gap between knowledge and undergoing colorectal cancer screening using the Health Belief Model: A national survey.
- Authors: Almadi MA, Alghamdi F
- Issue date: 2019 Jan-Feb
- Effect of public knowledge, attitudes, and behavior on willingness to undergo colorectal cancer screening using the health belief model.
- Authors: Almadi MA, Mosli MH, Bohlega MS, Al Essa MA, AlDohan MS, Alabdallatif TA, AlSagri TY, Algahtani FA, Mandil A
- Issue date: 2015 Mar-Apr