Interventional radiology in the diagnosis, management, and follow-up of pseudoaneurysms.
AffiliationDepartment of Academic Radiology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Angiography, Digital Subtraction
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Interventional
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInterventional radiology in the diagnosis, management, and follow-up of pseudoaneurysms. 2009, 32 (1):2-18 Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol
JournalCardiovascular and interventional radiology
AbstractArterial wall disruption, as a consequence of inflammation/infection, trauma (penetrating or blunt), or iatrogenic causes, may result in pseudoaneurysm formation. Currently, iatrogenic causes are increasing as a result of the growth of endovascular intervention. The frequency of other causes also seems to be increasing, but this may simply be the result of increased diagnosis by better imaging techniques, such as multidetector contrast-enhanced computed tomography. Clinically, pseudoaneurysms may be silent, may present with local or systemic signs, or can rupture with catastrophic consequences. Open surgical repair, previously the mainstay of treatment, has largely been replaced by image-guided occlusion methods. On the basis of an experience of over 100 pseudoaneurysms, treatments at various anatomical sites, imaging modalities used for accurate diagnosis, current changing therapeutic options for pseudoaneurysm management, approved embolization agents, and clinical follow-up requirements to ensure adequate treatment will be discussed. Image-guided direct percutaneous and endovascular embolization of pseudoaneurysms are established treatment options with favorable success rates and minimal morbidity. The pendulum has now swung from invasive surgical repair of pseudoaneurysms to that of image-guided interventional radiology.
- Liver abscess associated with hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm with arteriovenous fistula: imaging and interventional management.
- Authors: Kang M, Bapuraj JR, Khandelwal N, Kochhar R, Kalra N, Verma GR
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Treatment strategies and indications for interventional management of pseudoaneurysms.
- Authors: Zhu XL, Ni CF, Liu YZ, Jin YH, Zou JW, Chen L
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Diagnosis and management of pseudoaneurysms: an update.
- Authors: Kapoor BS, Haddad HL, Saddekni S, Lockhart ME
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Aug
- Pseudoaneurysms and the role of minimally invasive techniques in their management.
- Authors: Saad NE, Saad WE, Davies MG, Waldman DL, Fultz PJ, Rubens DJ
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Ultrasonographically guided percutaneous embolization of a pulmonary pseudoaneurysm.
- Authors: Sheehy N, Ford S, McDermott R, Young V, Ryan M
- Issue date: 2006 May